Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh go on then.. I'll have a crack at a V8!!

Yep the new female in my life is pretty special... Member on MR2OC (Foxystuff) and I think she loves the cars more than I!!!

Anyway....

Jig-work pretty much complete, just need to add some bracing to the front; the rear however is complete (nothing to stop me cutting now ;)

Stiffened the front to prevent movement of the plate.

And the rear too

Nothing in between - just the rear bracing complete..

It's not something that has to be pretty but will need to be rigid and light. It does just that.
    The rear picks up on the suspension top plates where the top mounts sit, the (4) subframe bolts and the (2) trailing arm bolts. What this means is, i can cut & extend as necessary and, once the engine & gearbox are mated to the subframe, use the subframe to position the new subframe mounting points ...... BREATHE .... Then, I can make/position all my new suspension points from the jig ... Seeeemples! :D

I didn't know you were stretching it as well, glad to hear. Are you going to do an MC8R replica?

No I think he's doing a sard version.

The outline is..

3uzfe
    Audi 2004 2.5tdi gearbox
    Custom flywheel
    Custom adapter flange
    Wheelbase stretch 12-14" approx
    Overall stretch 5-7" approx

I'll know more once I have the relevant bits together & in the bay.

It will be Sard MC8-R esqué bit wish to retain the front identity of the MR2 (pop-ups remain)
    Last edited by dgh938peg; 28-06-2013 at 08:43. Reason: fucking auto correct on iPhone!

Can I be a tidgy bit cheeky and ask what your budget / spend is? Cos the more I read the more expensive it looks.

It's quite a contrast to stuff I knock out as its mostly quick and easy and done on the cheapo usually. Not that I'm skinty poos, I just enjoy seeing what I can get away with (or without!)

I've spent a lot more than usual on the 2GR build, because even I appreciate the fact that when you up your game a bit, you realistically need to spend more.

C.

Nothing cheeky about that Chris...

For example, the original Turbo rebuild I spent something in the order of £7500... only to lose love for it and break it... Looked like this.

So for the V8... Spends thus far..

Wheels £1050 (dont ask me how but it's true)
    Tyres £92 (dont ask me how but it's true)
    Brakes (Porsche 997) £350 (with new pads)
    Discs F £130
    Discs R £89
    Coilies £580
    ECU £1350
    Engine £850!!!
    Gearbox £350 (with fly, clutch & driveshafts)
    ABS hubs & shafts £120 (for use with future racelogic T/C)
    Mishimoto Rad £50
    Cinqi Rad £48
    Eaton M112 New £250
    Jag C/C plenums £90
    Alloy for adapter £60
    Alloy for fly £40
    Steel for fly £Free (making fidanza stylee)
    Steel tube & box for chassis £52
    Steel for jigs & fixtures £Free

That's everything i need to get the car cut, engine supported and rolling on all 4 wheels. I will however, need to factor in at a later date lots of fibreglass or CF to make the rear wings, boot et al. Plus of course paint....
    (That said, the one thing we left behind at the old factory where the car is was our large screw compressor and 8m x 4m spray booth... That should make things easier/cheaper!)

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dgh938peg View Post
    It will be Sard MC8-R esqué bit wish to retain the front identity of the MR2 (pop-ups remain)
    Good plan, the lights on the road MC8 look gash (racers look a bit better). I would imagine they wouldn't be all that easy to recreate either. Been trawling Google images for pics as I'm sure I saw versions before with small projector lamps (single lamp on each side) which looked a lot better.

What's the plan for paint? Love the sponsor type schemes but it's a bit much on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    I've spent a lot more than usual on the 2GR build, because even I appreciate the fact that when you up your game a bit, you realistically need to spend more.

C.
    Spot on. My v8 is supposed to be budget, but that bigger motor requires better brakes, better cooling, which all cost money I didn't really anticipate.

I really like that you chose the 3uz, this build is going to be so cool.

Wait... Eaton?!

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast