Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh go on then.. I'll have a crack at a V8!!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    We're all watching and waiting Paul!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

i don't quite understand why you're starting with the stuff you are. but this should be interesting regardless.

It's a question of space marc. Unlike our brethren from across the pond blessed with acres of space & huge double garages I have a mere 14ft x 23ft timber garage to work in...... Currently occupied by another car. Once that's shifted I'll be on it like a pubescent teenager with a copy of razzle :D

oh, so you're doing the stuff that you don't have to disasemble the whole car for first. gotcha!

Do you know ... of all the places i should not forget i have a project thread up it should have been here.!!

Anyway, as announced on Nod's page - it is now full steam ahead on the V8. Basically, I have the use of our old 12'000sq ft factory until somebody rents it from us. Meaning that while the space is available i need to crack on and make best use of it. This has put the V6 on hold (though i may get the odd evening on it) as, while it is available, the space is too good to turn down. So ... from where i left off...

To be honest, i know some of you guys frequent MR2OC but i forget that projects are hidden behind Full Membership - sorry :)

Rear hubs and shafts sorted...
    Need to make hybrid MR2 outers with Audi Inners - using the Audi shaft - PW to advise on the easiest method here though i believe one of the Audi Shafts is a direct fit
    GTS Chris had a set with ABS for a very reasonable price indeed! just need rebooting - which would have been done anyway

Just ordered these babies to make up some body width...

this sees me to 9J on the front (ET+20) and 11J on the rear (ET-5) .... happy as a pig in poo! :D
    Just means i can get the wheels built back up and not have the parts kicking about. I have all new nuts from Titanium Touch to go with the original WORK stainless steel bolts...

A quick reminder

Mammoth effort cleaning the bolts..

All 160 of them!

Stance Nation here i come lol!

EDIT;
    As for tyres - been looking into that a bit and would appear that probably 245 35's ZR18 on the front and 285 30's ZR18 on the rear will see me nice..

Been trying to find an example of the possible stretch on these tyres - particularly the rears. The last thing i want to do is order 2 very expensive tyres to find they're not .... just so.. :th:

Outers arrived literally 10 mins ago.
    Big thank you to eBay USA trader JDMAutohouse for his help on the customs paperwork, saved me a few quid there!

and here we go... 5.5" outers (alongside the 9J front with a 2.5" outer)

This puts me at 11.5" rear i think... Assembled pics later this eve.

1 built ... Dinner break now :-)

Oh and I miscalculated.... They're 12's :shocked:

I think ooooof just about covers it :laughing

Was doing the drop links so thought I'd chuck one in sonic just to gauge the body challenge....

Yummy! :laughing

Have 1/2" clearance to the strut and approx 2 1/2" exposed rim to cover !!

Tyre sizes selected...

Offsets i am not 100% sure of so will need to measure what i have got but the fronts definitely need some chunky spacers. I have a set of 3" studs so may employ them opposed to hubcentric spacers.

Hoping by the end of the weekend i will have some tyres to sit these baddies on (only very cheap part worns). I took this option to ensure i am happy with the look of the tyre. The fronts should be pretty cool with similar stretch to Gaz!'s rears. But the rears are another issue - beyond the realms of what i know of tyres..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109495066...#ht_500wt_1268

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2511471178...ht_2945wt_1018

Plus of course offering the rim a bit of protection and when it gets to shaping bodywork gives something to work to in a practical sense.

the good news is that as some of you know, my company are moving to a larger facility. We own the one we are in at present and, until it is leased, my boss has allowed me to use the empty shop to work on the V8 :th: Shall keep me busy for a few saturdays!

been bored at work today so playing with AutoCAD. Did a trace around of a side on MR2 shot i took a while back, a little stretch here, larger wheels there, bit of wing there, change the intakes et voila!

(not to sure on the front as it's a bit of a mashup for now. but i don't think it looks out of proportion. This is a 300mm wheelbase lengthen and 150mm car lengthen.

Been thinking about the chassis mods in my spare moments at work. There's a guy on the US boards doing a 1UZ swap with chassis stretch on a similar vein to me. He's used what is effectively 50mm x 50mm x 4.5mm thick wall box section to make a spaceframe rear chassis. I was of the opinion, at the time, it was a little 'belt and braces' approach. What i have read about the following car has confirmed it.... :th:

Friends of mine on the book of faces may remember me posting this one....

It's an Ultima GTR with a custom alloy block Chevvy V8, custom crank, custom pistons, custom cams, custom heads.... You get the idea; it's pretty custom! Importantly, it churns out 982hp (at the fly or wheels who cares - the power to weight is double that of a Veyron and is street legal)The build pics are here http://www.kenson.nu/Ultimabilder/photo2115.htm

He and his friend built two at the same time, his friend opted for the Lexus V8 (not sure if its the 4.0, my 4.3 or the 4.7 but is inconsequential) and 2 hoofin' great turbos and a similar 1000hp...

Right... where am i going with this..?

Take a look at a bare Ultima Chassis...

There's nothing in it beyond a 40mm tube or box section...!

Just going on how tight the radius is on the box section, I'd guess nothing more than a 2mm wall.

On that basis i have just ordered 12m of 40mm x 40mm x 3mm wall box section and 12m of 38mm x 2mm wall ERW tube. It'll sti here at work (with the shell) until I'm able to tackle it.

My tyre gamble has paid off. The fitter has confirmed the 99p rear is legal so that's a plus. :th: .. Had one front & one rear fitted today; all I could fit in the Beemer! :shocked:

Anyway ... Some magnanimous pic whorage now :D

Stretch on the fronts; 9's with 245/35/18

Stretch on the rears; 12's with 295/30/18

Rim protection front; 1mm ish

Rim protection rear; 3mm ish

So there you go.... No need to show anything other than the practical aspects.... :th:
    NAH!!! :laughing

And stacked....

Pleased is not the word.. :D ... Cheshire Cat grin that my gamble was bang on :th:

Well, in prep for getting the chassis ready I've been chopping up MDF!

Anyway, the plan is to waterjet cut two pieces of 12mm alloy & weld them together this will be just as accurate & save a fortune on machining. So it began...

Audi box

V8 block

And never the twain shall meet - adapter required...

Cut a square of MDF. Drill a hole to suit a socket that is also a tight fit ofer the input shaft

Pencil in & chop out

But ... Both that easy to mark like this from the block sooo....

A sheet of clear plastic..

Mark the centre to fit over the tooth wheel

Rough out

Mark the outline...

Chop out & give some idea what lines up

Check with MDF template

Make an MDF one!

I'll use this to couple the engine & box while making the chassis :D

Just helped pack Dan off to drop off some stuff for this project:

...and to clear some space in here:

(Poor Kermit.)

He will probably kill me for saying this, BUT I know people have offered to help with man-power on this one and he is too man to ask (in spite of craving a manicure)... Any got free couple of hours to help? Will get him to post or PM dates...

So yep, small progress today. But some stuff has to be done to enable other things to take place..

Today, I checked the fit of hubs, discs, calipers & wheels

So here's the rear fit...

With a 15mm spacer I have this much clearance

So will reduce to a 10mm spacer in the interests of not making the car too wide lol!

Rachel seemed to think my fitting method was amusing...

Next the fronts...

Which gives me superb caliper clearance with a 15mm spacer again but...

With this bolted in here I get this...

Which means a 25mm (preferably 27mm spacer on the ass).. Which I had kind of figured.

The other option would be to shift the barrels about making the inner 1/2" narrower & the outer 1/2" wider but that's for another time. For now it'll be spacers.

So there we have it. Brackets sketched out for the calipers, I know what width spacers I need to clear the calipers for definite and its a job ticked off the list :D

Emptied out all the parts I've accumulated in there over the years (which I need to get up for sale)

And have her a scrub up

That'll make it easier to mark out for cutting :)

Got bored at lunchtime soooooo.....

Picked this up....

.... and Ta-daaaaaaaa! :D

Also got bored of looking at my tired old cup mat...

So i jazzed it up! :laughing

What a day!

Firstly, without the help of Heather (Hot-Lemon) Gaz (GazRev1Tubby) and Tony (TLF), Rachel & I would have not got as far as we have today. What we're basically left with is a shell ready for cutting!!

Less talk more pics!

And finito!

Here it is chaps - landed this morning!

To any company / part company / individual related to International Performance & Style Magazine viewing this - breach of copyright is not implied or intended. If you wish me or the forum to take these images down I/we shall.

(Right click & open images on separate tab to view larger)

I'll try to get some better pics at a later date for upload to the KY2 but having some copier-scanner issues at the mo.

Started jig building today. Am about 50% done so another after work evening will have them complete.

Pics!!

Rear steel brace

Front steel brace

NSF suspension jig

Subframe jig

Overview

Happy days!

Promise to keep you guys in the loop now :D

This is gathering momentum now! Looking forward to some creative engineering!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Now this has been worth waiting for, pulling a chair up and hitting F5 every few minutes now!

Great to see you getting cracking mate, she's going to be a beaut.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yep ..... ! Basically the woman who i met after the wife (was a lovely girl) but lacked the relationship spark and said those totally immoral words .....

"Well ... if we move house you'll have to to thin out the projects"...

Get rid!

The new one (curly hair in the engine bay - you briefly met her last year Paul) has given me a bit of project mojo again. The absence has mainly been due to setting up home with her to be honest :)

Subscribed.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast