Thread: 3VZFE Fidanza Alloy flywheel benefits? newbie Question

Icon5 3VZFE Fidanza Alloy flywheel benefits? newbie Question

After some advice on this, is it worth the expense?

Am looking for great acceleration, and (hopefully) no hassle when the revs are taken to the top of the curve. Guess its not the first time this question has been raised.

Have heard a lighter flywheel can affect the engine balance "if its not broken, don't fix it"

What advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks

Advantage is a faster spoiling engine so faster into the power band, being alloy with a steel removable plate means you can naff the plate up but either get it machined or a new one and bolt it in, the other great advantage is heat desipation being alloy should aid the clutch from not burning too much.

Disadvantage is price can cost 3times as much as a standard modifyed flywheel (adamh is your man for machining can't recommend the guys work enough flipping excellent stuff he does) also you may lose a bit of torque as less mass and inertia in a lite fly versus standard.
    Ps I forgot the fidanza is plug and play no moding required I think the standard turbo or na fly needs the holes elongating to match the bolt pattern of the 3vz crank, hope this helps.

Pps also most sports cars have lite flywheels most sedans and cars have standard flys because it's cheaper to make a million steel flys than it is to weigh and machine it to give better performance.

I really enjoy mine. In the lower gears it is nice and urgent. Overall it feels ideally suited to a sports car this way.
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

Appreciate your comments, could do with some before and after stats, if anyone has 'em. I'm keen to get the engine comfy in the upper rev range (and extend that further), wonder if the lighter flywheel will help.

the only downside is with engine braking(less mass means less resitance to changing speed...but thats why you want a light one to start with)...but thats why you upgrade brakes too..
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Having just driven a 1MZ with and without, back to back, i would say definitely go for it.

The fidanza/light weight flywheel probably gives the best performance gain for the money out of all the bolt on mods you can buy for an n/a engine. I had one on my 4AGE and it was great, I've got one on my MZ as well.

I don't think you'd be able to see anything much on a dyno as it doesn't give a power increase, it just speeds up the delivery of the power as the engine has less mass to move.

iv got a fidanza on my 1mz celica goes great guns - the pick up feels great , i mean im used to it now after driving it on a regular day to day . but its a thing i will be doing on my next mr2 swap without a doubt - plus it just bolts on and away you go.

You would probably see a different faster climbing torque curve bhp wise not so much but like most sports car makers every lb in weight reduction makes the car handle and go better, that's why the bugatti veyron ss cost another 600 thousand for 200bhp more and a lot less weight.

superb info, thanks very much everyone!

Think I'll go that route