Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldy's Flappy Paddles Build Thread

Hey michael,

I got your PM, sorry I haven't been in touch yet, but i've been chocca busy sorting stuff on the house for the housewarming that was last weekend.

Having this weekend working on the car, the flaps seem to be working, just fettling with the software and tidying up the wiring but as i've been doing that today, i've come accross major wiring issues with the car caused by the previous owner.

Once i've got the dash back together i'm going to try and get a roadtest video! :-)

Still not got a road test vid yet.... I need someone to hold the camera for me! Any volunteers?? :)

I've been twiddling the software, i've now got two modes "Road" and "Race" road mode the torque converter lockup converter is not engaged in any gear, this makes the car nice and drivable around town, in race mode the lockup is engaged in every gear, giving maximum power transfer and basically making the car drive like a manual (no spin up before take off!). This is a load more agressive and deffo not nice for trundling round town due to the ratios of the gearbox.

I'm going to make some hardware mods, but probably not before JAE, the plan is to add a rotary switch A-La ferrari style to switch between flapps off, road and race modes and to add a little 7 segment display to tell you what gear you're in. I've ordered the parts but its going to mean some major hacking up of the pcb to get these working.

Sounds like fun! Can't wait to see the video!

I'm liking that dual mode idea, would make for an interesting launch giving the motor some revs in neutral then dropping into race first at the flip of a finger

Interesting alternative to a sequential gearbox too I reckon.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by AlunJ View Post
    I'm liking that dual mode idea, would make for an interesting launch giving the motor some revs in neutral then dropping into race first at the flip of a finger

Interesting alternative to a sequential gearbox too I reckon.
    Not sure the gearbox would last too long doing launches like that! The only issue I have is when the lockup is engaged it doesn't quite have enough gears, when you change from 1st to second and second to third the gearing is just a bit too long and the car bogs down. At 40mph you've got too many revs in 3rd gear with the lockup on but in 4th the revs are too low. Works pretty well canning it but around town with the lockup convertor on its not so drivable. Is there a 5 or 6 speed auto box that toyota do?

Pending
    When we built the turbo automatic at 250hp the seals on the gearbox lasted for about 60 minutes (On two different gearboxes). We ended up fitting a Level 10 gearbox from the USA which is good for 500hp, but this is going to cost you 4.5K. It will certainly take everything you can throw at it and you can spin the wheels.

Michael

You crazy Americans love your auto boxs and tune them so they can cope with ridiculous amounts of bhp, I love them as well but over in the good old uk we have to pay more for a slush box than a manual and us lot being tight limeys we won't pay so that's why over here we have more manual options than autos.

And by the way godly those new floppy paddle look even better in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    You crazy Americans love your auto boxs and tune them so they can cope with ridiculous amounts of bhp, I love them as well but over in the good old uk we have to pay more for a slush box than a manual and us lot being tight limeys we won't pay so that's why over here we have more manual options than autos.
    You're right Tiggs, i can't move for manual Camrys over here. The states don't know what they're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by OlberJ View Post
    You're right Tiggs, i can't move for manual Camrys over here. The states don't know what they're missing.
    All the v6 camrys over here and quite a few luxury motors come with an auto as standard fitment.

You never fail to amuse me Mike.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast