Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldy's Flappy Paddles Build Thread

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Well the speed signal is available on the Purple/white wire behind the clocks, and tacho is a black wire also behind the clocks.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

This is an awesome thread. Well done, Goldy

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    but you can't beat the buttons on the wheels in my opinion!
    I hope that's a miss-wording.

See Porsche for a very shit example.

great progress Si..you make it sound so simple..

Quote Originally Posted by OlberJ View Post
    I hope that's a miss-wording.

See Porsche for a very shit example.
    Lol.... I know exactly what you mean about buttons, I meant paddles obviously.... see ferrari for some good examples! I'm looking for a bolt on steering wheel with paddle shifters at the moment! I think the later MR-S tiptronic wheel might be a direct bolt on or potentially the tiptronic wheel from the celica / altezza. Anyone got a mk3 wheel I can try on a mk2? I'm wondering whether its the same splines or not... I had a search for an aftermarket wheel with paddle shifters / buttons, but there don't seem to be any that will acomodate a horn push as well without machining out the centre. I'm off to hong kong on monday so i'll have a look at what I can get hold of out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post
    great progress Si..you make it sound so simple..
    Everything looks easy when you take 3 photos and put a few words up.... in reality its been 2 years of bantering round ideas, days of effort to design the 3 prototype boards and I still keep thinking of improvements and other things to add on! I really need to get the paddles sorted out, then it'll actually be drivable!

Ok I got a little bored of packing this evening and decided to have a mess about with some flaps!

So I cut a chunk out of the steering wheel cowl and stuck two microswitches in there..... I think it's a reasonable start.... I need to get them mounted a bit more permenently as they're just held in with a single self tapper at the moment.

To get the horn back on I had to trim the edges of the rubber back, you can see where i've cut one side in the picture below :

Finally I made a cardboard mockup of the flaps, hopefully nik is going to make me some lovely carbon flaps for my prototype....

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Ok I got a little bored of packing this evening and decided to have a mess about with some flaps!
    That's how I like to spend my weekends

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Torero View Post
    That's how I like to spend my weekends
    LMFAO.

Looking good Goldy, some nice work going on here.
    Listen to my Remix

Let me know what you think

Seriously Goldy, that's some great work you're doing mate. Keep the pics coming.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Today I took the steering wheel off to assess whether the horn slip ring was suitable for connections.

Below you can see the horn ring in all its glory once the steering wheel cowl is removed. The horn ring can be easily removed by taking off the 5 Screws. It simply lifts out.

At the bottom there appears to be some sort of Optical sensor assembly, does anyone have any idea what it might be for? It looks like its to sense the steering wheel position???

Taking the horn ring apart there are three contacts inside on the mating face there are only two contacts (it looks like one was cut off at factory?)

Anyways the Bad news is that the three contacts within the horn ring are connected together on both mating halves! DOH! This means its not suitable as standard to use for the flappy paddles.

Double bad news is the celica airbag slip ring had a completely different mounting, it has a different mount for the indicator reset ring and its far to thick to fit behind the steering wheel..... Double DOH! :icon_cry:

Anyone any ideas about how to get the wiring through from the paddles to the control box? I'd like it to be as "factory" as possible.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast