Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Goldy's Flappy Paddles Build Thread

Tidyied up the car for the MOT over the weekend, she passed but the emissions were pretty close!

Whilst I was working on the car I replaced the kill switch with a three way control switch, excuse the stickering i'll do something better at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    There's steering wheel buttons you can buy from demon tweeks, with bracket and all. Michael had a custom mount machined for his. On mine I bought a wheel with buttons built in.
    How did you wire the buttons up? Did you end you changing the horn ring and wiring for the new wheel?

No change of horn ring, it uses the standard horn ring without modification. There is a resistor on each button connected to the horn wiring in the steering wheel and the flappy paddle box hardware decodes the voltage levels to decide which button has been pushed.

Where on earth did you get the hardware??? Sounds like a great bit of kit! I might just need one for mine.

I designed it myself :-) If you want one Andy, all the info is here : http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...lable-For-Sale

Is there any part of this unit that wouldn't fit a US MR2?
    Are there wires that need to be cut in order to install the unit?
    What is the cost range of compatible steering wheels?
    Is the armrest glove box (where the unit gets installed) behind the seats on the back wall?
    Does the interior of the car need to be removed in order to run any wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim9 View Post
    Is there any part of this unit that wouldn't fit a US MR2?
    Are there wires that need to be cut in order to install the unit?
    What is the cost range of compatible steering wheels?
    Is the armrest glove box (where the unit gets installed) behind the seats on the back wall?
    Does the interior of the car need to be removed in order to run any wires?
    It would fit a US MR2,
    You would need to cut 3 wires at the ecu, and splice into the speed wire, horn wire, power and ground to run the kit. You would also need to run wires for the control switch.
    Cost range is from DIY up to momo custom $500 wheels.
    You can install the box anywhere, I opted for the central glove box but it was installed previously in the glovebox but it could be installed next to the ECU.
    You will need to run wires, so yes, I removed the tunnel and had the dash out to fit the display, I also ran a wire from the ECU to behind the seats in the cabin. :thumbsup:

Do you have anything written up as far as documentation?
    I'm concerned about this because I'm not a mechanic but would be doing this install myself (with the help of a mechanic type friend) and don't want to mess things up.

I would like to do a good enough job that it at least appears professional, I'll go as far as soldering things instead of just cutting up and electrical taping wires. If I can find a good MR2 this summer I'll be on contact with you about purchasing a kit. I suspect the prices will be too high though so I'll probably end up getting one at the beginning or middle of winter.

I'll get a full write up sorted out, after japfest as for installation, its pretty straightforward.

Cheers,

Simon

Still looking for one of these kits or someone that can make one. Andy
    Mk1 3VZFE White
    Mk2 3SGE Red (TRD2000GT No.0001)
    Mk3 2GRFE Blue

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213