Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just been told i need CAT test on 1993 Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Moffmo View Post
    Where would I stand with this?

I'll be putting in a 3VZ-FE which as far as I know is 1992-1996. The car however is a 1999.

I also have no idea how you would prove the age of the engine?

so either way I'm probably going to need a CAT? :-(
    Register the engine change on your V60, that way it'll show up when your tester checks the cars details to register the test online.

If it's a 3VZ-FE it only goes to '96 so it will be exempt and this should be on the testers details. I only know as myself and Chris worked until 5am to fit a cat to mine before my test the next day only to be told I didn't need one. :icon_rolleyes:

If you need any further advice drop Pat (Headcase) a PM as he's a qualified MOT Tester and can confirm for you.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Howdy!

Assuming yours has a CAT now and likely the donor engine will probably have (or will have had) a CAT so you will likely need a CAT for MOT.

That said, fabricating a bypass pipe so that you can swap for MOT isn't that hard anyway and may save hassle with the lovely MOT station anyway rather than arguing it....

I'm in the same situation as I'm putting a 3vzfe in a 98 car so I'm going to try and fabricate the exhaust to the na system and still use the original cat for mot's and then swap it for a decat pipe. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by snoball View Post
    also if you give the motor a pretty good thrashing eg. hold lower gears for longer it'll clear the soot out of your motor and pipe and help towards getting you a pass :)
    Is there any other way to drive V6 MR2? :-)

Your mot tester will just require something official looking with the camry reg number, engine number and date of conversion. I may or may not have written something similar on a lovely headed letter for my brother in laws skyline implying it had been fitted with an engine old enough to avoid the cat test. Im sure I know at least one forum member who could provide you with a registration of an eligible camry

But I think the law has now changed so that any car fitted with a cat as standard has to have one now regardless of age.

Nope the change in law has no bearing. Emissions tests are based on either chassis or engine whichever is oldest, if the car requires a non cat test then there is no requirement to look for the fitment of a cat, it's written in a subbox on the emissions flow chart in the testers manual

Chris.

Is there not like a stickie with the relevant info already done so we can avoid tons of threads about cat none cat tests?

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post
    Nope the change in law has no bearing. Emissions tests are based on either chassis or engine whichever is oldest, if the car requires a non cat test then there is no requirement to look for the fitment of a cat, it's written in a subbox on the emissions flow chart in the testers manual

Chris.
    Agree. Mine who is 1991/1992 import. Had a cat on the 3sge, but doesn't have to. Now has 2009 2gr (no cat) but gets tested as 1991 non cat car.

Quote Originally Posted by thomp1983 View Post

Chris.

Ah fair enough, so when's the cut of date for the cat law ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast