Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just been told i need CAT test on 1993 Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    How do i stand with my emissions then?

It's a 97 car with a 2008 2GR-FE in it. However it was sourced from a Toyota Highlander. A car only available in the US. i'm hoping a default CAt limits test :praysmiley:
    Follow the flow chart:
    Vehicle first used between 1 August 1995 and 31 August 2002:Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions book?

So a 2gr-engined MR2 doesn't exist anywhere. Therefore, they'll have to carry out a CAT test using default limits.

Simples :)
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Nice one, at least I know I can go to the MOTer fully armed

Thanks Jiff :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdan View Post
    From what Patrick told me, the MOT tester was even confused to the age of the car...claiming it was a 1998 model and the K reg must be a private plate :icon_confused:. The car was imported and first registered as a turbo in 1998 but year of manufacture 1992. It has never had a catalytic converter fitted and I have never had any problems with the emissions test either before or since V6 conversion. The guy must be new to the job :icon_biggrin:. Good luck with educating him :icon_wink:
    Hi Rowdan,

Yes, this wasn't the usual tester that pat sees at his local garage, (and you know how Welsh people like to dig their heels in! ;) )

I've told pat to try keep him onside, so he is going back down there before the retest with some documented proof / laptop in hand.

It will be interesting to see where this ends up!

Chris.

Sent from <insert stupid location>

Let us know how he gets on my mate has printed off the section that's dealing with it should pick it up on Saturday, his advice was what Evers older engine or car then that should be tested to that standard so if its a pre cat car then no cat test as a basic rule of thumb, but as I said before all this bollox is changing next year and he will update me when it does.

but what he's heard on the grape vine is if the engine was fitted in a car that had cats when it was made then irrespective of the recipent cars age the engine if newer goes into that car should have cats as well retro fitted to comply with the engines year of manufacture, so we all may get away with our conversions now but any new ones next year may all have to have cats fitted when the conversion is carried out.
    Last edited by snowtigger; 14-07-2011 at 12:59.

Right just got the page every one needs 7.3 exhaust emissions-spark ignition-general.

I will photo copy the whole page and upload later, the interesting parts are at the beginning.

Vehicles fitted with modified engines.

If an engine has been modified in any way, it still has to meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle.

And the test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.

E.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine ( of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note the onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.

Tiggs,

Top stuff, thanks for that!

That means my 2004 import (1992) will test as a non cat with a swapped engine?

Also Pat managed to explain to the MOT guy that Rowdans old V6 does not need a cat test. He showed him the chart on the MOT station wall!

Chris.

Sent from somewhere else......

Just a quick heads up with my emmissions fiasco...

Spent some time getting my head round everything with the emmissions so I could go back down and diplomatically put them straight. I went back down to the garage, explained how & why no CAT test, and boss said ok.

This was a little more complicated than just general CAT arguement, as the logbook showed first registration at 1998 (Import from Japan) but it was a K Plate. When the MOT first phoned me up to say it had failed he thought it was a private plate as had a K reg plate, but showed as 1998 registered. Explained that it was an import, but he needed to a) see something to prove age & b) prove it didnt have to be CAT tested. When I went back down, I had a letter in with the car documents that was from DVLA confirmed it was IMPORTED in 1998, but actually first used in mid 1993.

As such (as above threads) if a car was first used between 1 August '92 and 31 July '95 and fails emmissions, then the tester has to find an exact match for the car and engine. Because they cant find that (as it never existed) then they revert to a non-CAT test. As a backup, if they still argue, then from what I understand because it started life as an import turbo, they *shouldn't* be able to find the original match (i.e. chassis and engine) on their database anyway so in any scenario it shouldnt need a cat test. (Based on it being manf in 1993)

Once the MOT is sorted, I am going to try get the year of registration changed on the logbook to 1993 (or get them to show it as first registered in 1998 and manufactured in 1993 (In Japan)) which then should prevent any issues for future owners irrelevant of what engine is in there as the original engine was non-CAT tested anyway. Im guessing this solution though is dependant on the new changes that come into play next year with the emmissions.

Finally, with the new regs that are apparently coming into play next year with the CAT test being dependant on the engine, I have a liability to inform the DVLA about an engine change but if I dont know where the engine came from (lets assume I bought it on ebay....) then I have carried out my duties to the best of my ability in as much as informing them of the engine change. If I dont know where the engine came from, then I dont know then they cant stipulate the CAT test. Think any Camrys/ES300s in the future will be getting registed in mates names....... ;-)
    Last edited by wood_patrick; 17-07-2011 at 17:07.

Bro,

If you do an engine change, you will need something to PROVE it was first used/manufactured in 1992. Check the logbook. It may say first registration in 2004 meaning they will do a cat test. It may state on the V5 that Reg'd in 2004 (MAnufactured in 1992) which *should* be fine, but if it doesnt state that on V5 then without proof of actual age will be a CAT test. Best to write to DVLA and ask for something in writing to confirm year of first use/manufacture.

I think thats the reason your car has a CAT that has been fitted aftermarket. Write to DVLA, get confirmation of manf date and confirmation that DOESN'T need CAT test, and keep it for use after engine conversion....... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Tiggs,

Top stuff, thanks for that!

That means my 2004 import (1992) will test as a non cat with a swapped engine?

Also Pat managed to explain to the MOT guy that Rowdans old V6 does not need a cat test. He showed him the chart on the MOT station wall!

Chris.

Sent from somewhere else......

Quote Originally Posted by wood_patrick View Post
    When I went back down, I had a letter in with the car documents that was from DVLA confirmed it was IMPORTED in 1998, but actually first used in mid 1993.
    Good job I am a dreadful hoarder, as that folder is what I was given when I bought it, I went through it but didn't consider any of it would ever be usefull :-)

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

Where would I stand with this?

I'll be putting in a 3VZ-FE which as far as I know is 1992-1996. The car however is a 1999.

I also have no idea how you would prove the age of the engine?

so either way I'm probably going to need a CAT? :-(

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast