Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just been told i need CAT test on 1993 Engine

Goes of age of car not age of engine pre cat equals no cat test, tell em to read the vosa rules, if there is no data for a 3litre mr2 v6 in the system they go of age of car ffs.

I will text my mates to get clarification I know after talking in the pub to George my mot tester I don't have to have a cat test even though my car engine would probably ace what the old 4age chucked out.

fanx darling!

I found a PDF flowchart, emailed it to Pat. The MOT garage are quite sympathetic, so he likes to stay friends.

Anyything that will help us gently re-educate the chappy would be appreciated.

Welsh people eh, they just wont have it sometimes!!!

:icon_mrgreen:

Chris.

Cassi had issues with her decatted J-reg Mk2 (3sge) import, the garage failed it for not passing the cat emissions test. They quoted that any car from August (I think) 1992 needs to have a cat fitted. Fortunately after a phone call to Toyota we got a print out that stated the car was manufactured in March 1992.

Seems like there's a lot of discrepancy between MoT testers.
    Last edited by Limeymk1; 12-07-2011 at 15:42.

Hmmmmm, from here:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...sandguides.htm

Vehicles fitted with a different engine: Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle. e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes. Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.
    The catalyst test is part of the MOT test for most spark ignition petrol engined vehicles with four or more wheels first used on and after 1 August 1992

Two of my mates are mot testers and both hate how the mot testing is going it's a complete farce nowadays, like my arches if an arch trim is bolted to the arch there not allowed to take it off even though it could be held on by a ton of rust and bondo they can't touch it, it used to be the bang with a screwdriver see if there's any holes or rot but they can only look now.
    He showed me the book they have to study and nearly every month Theres new legislation added that contradicts previous stuff.

And as soon as you leave mot station the only thing the paper is worth is to show on that day on that time in the mot station every thing was ok, but if your wheel falls off twenty yards down the road it's not there fault it's all this acceptable wear bollocks.

Gonna phone the garage in the morning, and tell them to RTFM!

Muppets. The guy that did the MOT test (Not dealt with that specific guy before, although dealt with garage lots in past without problems) actually said "someones messed with the engine" - You dont say! (Not what I said really, but felt like it....) Lol.

Im hoping that between all the info on the threads on here Ive found (Thanks to the many TB'ers!), I can tell him how to do his job properly in a polite way. :-)

With a decatted car it's a little different - Its not whether or not a cat is fitted, but whether it meets the emission requirements.

The vosa flow chart really is quite simple to follow, but having been a tester who did nothing other than test 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, I used to know every single rule and regulation and it's interpretation to nth degree!

The important bits to note are:

Vehicle first used between 1 August '92 and 31 July '95: Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions book?

As Tig has mentioned, a V6 MR2 simply does not exist in either; so you shouldn't even NEED to start producing proof of engine age. You simply get a normal pre '92 emission test.

Vehicle first used between 1 August 1995 and 31 August 2002:Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions book?

Again, Our V6 MR2's still don't appear in either, however, now the "no" response leads us to a default cat test, using fairly broad limits. THIS is where proof of engine age comes into the equation. If you can prove that the engine is from an earlier vintage, they need to test to that age.

Your stumbling block could come about when you say it came from a '93 camry.... as a '93 camry WILL be listed and WILL have Cat values to meet. A '91 camry, of course, would have no such limits :icon_wink:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

YOU GET THE SUBTLE HINT, that some one said about YEAR of engine lol.

I was talking while drunk on Friday about fault codes and that if the engine light was on he would have to fail it, I said "its not wired in so it won't ever come on" my mate being very dry wit said "I never heard what you just said" cough cough.

How do i stand with my emissions then?

It's a 97 car with a 2008 2GR-FE in it. However it was sourced from a Toyota Highlander. A car only available in the US. i'm hoping a default CAt limits test :praysmiley:

From what Patrick told me, the MOT tester was even confused to the age of the car...claiming it was a 1998 model and the K reg must be a private plate :icon_confused:. The car was imported and first registered as a turbo in 1998 but year of manufacture 1992. It has never had a catalytic converter fitted and I have never had any problems with the emissions test either before or since V6 conversion. The guy must be new to the job :icon_biggrin:. Good luck with educating him :icon_wink:

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast