Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Les's V6 Swap

Les's V6 Swap

Hi all,

I thought it was about time to get a thread started as i have been planning it for a while now. Due to me getting a new job i have been working long hours during the week and just wanting to relax on the weekends but i have now decided its time for me to get my arse in gear !

After owning various mr2's i've always contemplated a v6 conversion but never really did anything about it until a camry came up for sale with HG failure 10mins down the road from me.

The Mr2 in that pic was originally intended to get the v6 lump but after lots of thinking i decided i'm not a massive fan of the colour but its mechanically fantastic so i will be keeping it as my standard daily driver for now.

Yesterday i went to pick up my new 2 to use for the conversion a rev4 NA Tbar in goodwood green, one of my favorite colours they came in.

Needs a bit of tidying up but hey its a project car.

This is the progress so far,

Ready to have her heart ripped out.

I just want to take this opportunity to say a massive thanks to Paul Woods for the removal guide as using that it was a matter of hours for me to have it dangling in this pic.

Ready for the rebuild

The bit that's worrying me the most lol

I think the water may of mixed with the oil a little :icon_mrgreen:

That's it for the moment but watch this space as i'm probably going to be bombarding you lot with questions soon lol !

Les. :icon_cool:

Greetings Les, glad to see you're putting that big fat Camry to good use.

The loom is a pussy cat, it flops nicely into place and you will be surprised when you get to rebuilding the engine.

All the help you need is here (but you already know that right!) so ask lots of questions, post up lots of pics, and good look with the project!

:)

Chris.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Good luck Les, and with the usual HG failure be sure to carefully examine the areas on the block around the fire ring, they corrode like crazy and will mean a subsequent HG failure, if in doubt take good hi res pics and post them up.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Good luck with the project :-)

Good Luck Les and keep the pictures coming. :thumbsup:

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Good luck mate your now 1 step ahead of me!!

Discussions as agreed ;)

Good luck with the build Les, if you need a hand with the wiring give us a shout

Thanks chap's, there will be lots of photos mainly for my benefit, I've already taken loads of the engine its self just to remind me what goes where.

I'm a long away from the wiring yet and I still need to purchase the HG & cam belt kit ect yet, is this something i will have to go directly to Mr T for as I'm always wary of cheap ebay things ?

I'm also planning on having a go at doing the extended 5th gear conversion myself as I now have a spare gearbox to practice on first.

Your local motor factors will be able to help with the belt, possibly some other bits.

If you buy any sundries (plugs filter etc) on eBay search for either 3VZ-FE in description or look for ES300 Lexus bits, as its mostly all the same. But cheaper.

C.

Been busy on the engine this weekend and made quite a bit of progress which i'm pleased about :icon_mrgreen:

Those cam pulleys were a right ball ache but finally they yielded and the cams came out.

And then came the heads

There lies the problems, i think that HG is borked !

Just want to quickly say thanks to Chris for his help yesterday, much appreciated bud !

Tomorrow i shall book the heads in to be skimmed and then hopefully i can then start putting it back together.

Les. :icon_cool:

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast