Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just been told i need CAT test on 1993 Engine

Just been told i need CAT test on 1993 Engine

I read around here for a bit concerning CAT tests before i went into doing the conversion, I went ahead with the conversion knowing, if the engine is Pre 1994 it wouldn't need a CAT test.

Well i've just had a call, and i need a CAT test! My engine is a 1993!

I rang VOSA to double check and they say the test was bought in, in 1 Aug 1992. So what now?! Wholes exhaust system including CAT i take it, another hic up to stop me getting on the road!

Need your help!

Thanks, Steve

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...tic+converters

Basically they are not reading the flow chart right. Your car wether import or not is pre95 so subject to a non-CAT test. Unfortunately the muppets don't seem to be just on the shop floor, they are in the upper echelons of the VOSA mothership

edit- Your engine is pre 95, but not sure about your car?

The onus is on you to prove it's a pre 95 engine if your car is a newer Mk2 model. How you go about that I have no idea.

edit, edit- take it to another MOT place who understand the system
    Last edited by Lee; 27-04-2010 at 16:11.

I gave them the engine number to prove its a 1993 engine. The car is 1995. Going to read through the thread now.

Steve

Way I read this flowchart:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...01992-2002.pdf

If it's after Aug 95 it would require a CAT test to the default limits as still no exact match can be found.

However it states vehicle' not engine or shell whichever is the older......................maybe that's where the ambiguity lies?

What year is the vehicle?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Thanks fo that Lee! I let them know, and all is good. No test require. Only failed on wiper blade and bulbs. Not bad considering it's been sat 1.7 years!

Thanks again!

While we're here though. How do I go about taxing the car?

Steve

Well done Steve. Good solid info to back you up, that's what TB's about. :thumbsup:
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

Re: Just been told i need CAT test on 1993 Engine

Can we sticky this as it seems to come up alot.

I was going to suggest that antnkel.

Definitely worth a sticky.

Steve

Hello peeps,

We have just been told by the MOT garage that the V6 we bought from Rowdan needs a cat!

Pat is trying to argue it with them, but they are doing the "computer says no " thing.

Any advice on making them see sense (without a punch up?)

Chris.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast