Thread: Side vent mod.

Side vent mod.

Looking for some advice. I'm currently in the process of mod'ing my side vents on my mk2.

I have taken out the central partition and i'm planning on adding a scoop a bit like:
    http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130853 apart from an all-in-one unit (bit of body filling etc..) to increase air into engine bay + visual

Now that I have filled you in my question is will having a scoop on the O/S effect the fan mounted inside that vent?

My future plan is maybe to add one of those fan engine lids and maybe get rid of the fan on the O/S vent if thats possible? So that air comes in through the bottom vents and out through the engine lid.

Shouldnt be a problem, just unplug it but keep the fan in. Then run the car for a couple of days and check the temp regularly, if its too high, plug in the fan :)

the engine bay fan does little to cool the engine operating temps down, so keeping an eye on the temps isn't really a valid test. the engine bay fans are there mainly to reduce heatsoak in the bay. the more air you can get blown or sucked out of the bay the better your intake temps are going to be. a spal engine lid fan is the way to go imho.

From memory, once you're above 30mph, fans become irrelevant.
    As Nik's pointed out, the sole purpose is for heatsoak, not cooling. Spal's in the lid would be much better because they're actually forcing hot air OUT (rather than pushing some cool air around), plus they're much bigger fans.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

yeah my thoughts were to get good air circulation through the engine bay. I guess once I add a scoop to the side vents the small fan will restrict air flow if anything. As heat rises I guess the best possible way of getting nice cool air into the bay is having cold air come in through the side vents near the bottom and hot air sucked out the top.

What are peoples thoughts on spal engine lid fans? is it worth the money for a N/A V6 or are they really better of forced induction?

charge temps are important no matter what type of induction you have.
    spal are an excellent option as they have such low profile they can be fitted effectively to engine lids..a pair on your lid will be about as good as it gets.

Yeap, thnking of fitting a Spal on the open vent side of my supercharger lid on the 1.5, hopefully will help to get rid of the hot air from the chargecooler. Getting it out seems better than blowing it in, especially with these warmer days!
    Stephen
    Calling No. 25 1.5 SE

aye, sucking out is a lot more efficient than blowing in..
    spal can be a bit pricey, didn't somebody use a fan from a cold food van chiller or something..paul was it you?