Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knock Sensors?

I've got a gm one to pick up this week when I get round to it.... I think they are ?40 from vauxhall. There are two types. The one i've seen looks like a doughnut and you put a bolt through it to connect it to the block. Its a 2 wire jobbie. Aparantly you earth one wire and the other one is the signal.

Let me know how big the thread is on the toyota one, and i'll find out if it'll fit.

Moving this to mk2 forum

Got the knock sensor in my hands ;)

Not tried to wire it up or attach it to the block yet... Its a bosch 2 wire knock sensor.. code : 0261 231 006

heres a piccy for you sam.... see what i mean bout doughnut shaped :

The centre hole is about 9mm accross so should fit an m8 nut.

Any measurments on the standard toyota sensor thread?

DOH!! I just read today a 4 page long thread on MR2OC about knock sensors - apparantly the GM ones are not good at all - I will find the link and post it here, but some guys did proper tests on the sensors and posted all the graphs and data and then fully explained how the stock knock sensor worked well and that the GM one didn't fulfil its function properly... will find link tomoz when look at work internet history mate - it was a very good read actually.
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?...t=knock+sensor

here's the thread - it's def worth reading through even though it's pretty long

Erm cant get on there as i'm not a member... any chance of a local copy?

I think most use the chevrolet gm sensor as sold by twosrus, it looks completely different to the one ive got, I'm not even sure if its made by bosch?

Chevrolet GM sensor : as sold by tbdevelopments / twosrus

Be easier to join up - takes 2 mins - it's 4 pages so I don't think Nik would be impressed if I copied and pasted it here :)

It's irrelevant now as you have one, but still worth reading mate!

join up goldy, mr2oc.com is a good site anyway!
    my names dave......

Right, signed up..... read what I count to be quite a lot of panic mixed in with people who know stuff and people who dont.

The long and the short of it are.... that the gm sensor (chevrolet one) pictured above and being discussed on the OC is tuned a different frequency than the toyota one, due to the different cylinder bores / block materials. (100mm bore vs 86mm bore on a 3sgte)

The good news is, the sensor i've got is from a C20-LET vauxhall engine, which is 2litre turbo... and has ...... 86 mm bore, so in theory it should be a direct swap, though I havent tested it.

Has anyone got a spare toyota knock sensor going? I'll do some independant tests vs the one i've got here.:whistle:

goldy if i try taking mine out and send up to you can you test if it works then as it could just be the wiring thats fubbared !

I can try... Though i'd try testing the wiring with a multimeter 1st, Put one end on the ecu pin, and the other on the sensor connector, to see if you have a connection there as a simple check.:shrug:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast