Thread: import and UK Radiators

import and UK Radiators

Has anyone fitted a UK spec radiator to an Import MK2?

the uk has a 672mm core width and the Import a 572mm core width. but from what i have measured up i think it will fit, just have to re angle the rubber pipes, and remove some plastic duct trims peices from each edge.

just wondering if anyone has any info?

ordered a UK one now, will let you know if it fits monday, for future referance. sure it will!

just for future information the wider UK spec rad will fit into an import, just have to remove the 2 plastic cowling pieces that an import comes with and rotate the hoses 180 degrees.

Cool good info to have for future reference.:thumbsup:

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

turbo motors use the same size raditor as the UK spec

This has helped put my mind at rest, I was just about to post the following, so in theory my mishimoto rad should fit my NA (despite what they say)?

I'm having a bit of a nightmare, I need to get my rad swapped on friday and have my mishimoto aluminium rad arriving tomorrow, I bought it ages ago and wasn't planning to fit it until I get some kind of engine conversion or buy a tubby, but since mine is knackered I may as well fit it now. After enquiring with mishimoto about several things it nows seems it may not fit (despite their own website saying it does). At the time I bought it their website stated I would need a certain plug for non turbo application, which I have now tracked down, but since I purchased the rad back in Aug 09 their website has been changed and states that a non-turbo model will require 2 x 10" universal fans :confused1: :confused1:

I emailed them about this and have now gotten this response:

Dave,

After doing a lot of research lately on the MR2, we have found out that the Turbo radiator is much bigger than the Non-turbo radiator. The difference is roughly 3-4 inches in length (the turbo radiator is bigger). This also explains why you cannot use your factory fan shroud on the radiator.

This radiator will not fit you vehicle. I wanted to contact you prior to you attempting installation to prevent additional downtime. At this time, I would highly suggest to return the radiator to the seller. Are you able to contact him/her?
    Great :no: . So now they are saying it wont fit at all?? Why would their website say a non turbo needs X when it actually doesnt even fit?

However, after looking at standard radiators, there appears to be two - one with a 672mm core and one with a 572mm core. The ebay ads for these seem to say that the 572mm core rad is for an import NA, and the 672mm core is for a UK car or turbo - so should I in theory be ok?

I dont see how it can not fit, given that the turbo chassis is quite obviously not any different to the NA, so 3-4 inches longer should still fit in the space - is it something to do with the fan shroud? I dont see how that affects the length though. As far as I was aware I could fit a 2nd factory fan from a tubby to my NA, and the tubby/UK NA radiators are interchangeable it seems, so if the rad with fit a tubby it should fit my car?

Or should I bite the bullet, order a standard rad today and see which will fit on friday (and have to try and offload the other without losing too much money).
    Last edited by dave5526; 28-04-2010 at 21:13. Reason: spelling - i'm in a rush sorry!

yep i should hope so! the rad will fit size wise, the N/A import has two cowling panels on either side which i simply removed to fit the wider radiator, the mounts fitted straight up as did the hoses, just had to loosen both end of the hoses (by taking off the metal plates in the frunk) and re orientate them.

as for the fans, the N/A fans i had didnt fit the bottom mounting holes as they were spaced differantly, however i used the top mounting holes to bolt one fan back on, and ditched the second as i have removed AC rad and all AC stuff recently, so i think one fan should be fine.

the bottom mounts are 5-10mm out, and are cable tied on now, untill i fabricate a strip of metal with some holes in to hold it better, or get a spal fan. the fan is very secure however with two top bolts and 2 cable ties atm.

HTH

cheers buddy, sounds like I should be fine, the fan was the main bit I was worried about but if I have to cable tie the bottom til I can get something else sorted I'd be happy with that result!