Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Meisters Mk1 2gr-fe conversion - project mindfuck.

Might be worth copying the S/C setup on the rear torque mount base and have bolts in the vertical part of this angle too.

Mk2 and Mk3's have the 4 bolt setup also.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Good thinking olie but not strictly necessary, Mk2 and Mk3 have four bolts on the horizontal plane, none have any on the vertical, i guess the reason being the forces acting on this mount are just pulling down as you accelerate. There are hardly any front to back forces.

I had already planned to make the mount base angled to go up the back of the member like a mk1 SC mount does, so it's an angle hugging an angle, should be ample.... the front mount only has two bolts too.

I think i'm going to poly the rear mount as well and see how it goes, at the risk of excess chassis vibration but i'd like to make sure this engine isn't rocking about in the Mk1 bay.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Today all of the engine mounts got finished, the fabrication stage that is... the chassis mounts still need seam sealing/painting.

The rear torque mount was made using 6mm plate on everything, real overkill compared to what i'd normally use here. I also made a third bolting point on the crossmember...

Front mount in place, still needs its polybush.

Both torque mounts in place.... uber strong.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

They'd hold the Queen Mary!

Yeah i may have overdone them a bit :)

somehow I doubt he'll have a problem overcoming the inertia of the extra weight :hehe:

Mr PW - do you find that the generic MR2 torque mounts (the rubbery bit) are up to the job on v6's? Mine went through (3) front ones in the space of 2500 miles.... Yeah alright they were all used but still....

Look at all that metal! More reinforcements than a brigadier general! Nice work Paul - this should keep the engine seated quite nicely :thumbsup:

I like over-engineering and Gouky says, the extra 1.9 litres, ~150bhp, ~150lb.ft, 8 valves, 2 cams etc. will be man enough.

I'm still hoping that I can come in under 1150kgs but it will be ballistic either way methinks.

One of the last big purchases will be the wheels, which I want to go light on if possible. But I can’t begin to choose / spec until we know what the offsets on the rear will be and whether I can fit 8 or 9 in wide rims with appropriate tyres in there. Some interesting developments lie ahead!

Despite Gouky's sage advice, I'm still very tempted by a longer FD - it will aid cruising and can't hurt traction either.

Top speeds in E153 gears using 4.285 FD on 16x8 wearing 245/45/ZR16 (40 profile in brackets) assuming 6400rpm:

1st 33.9 (32.6)
    2nd 57.4 (55.1)
    3rd 83.0 (79.8)
    4th 119.1 (114.5)
    5th 150.15 (144.29)

Cruising Mph in 5th:

2krpm = 46.9 (45.1)
    3krpm = 70.4 (67.6)

Not hideous but revving a bit high considering the capacity and torque on offer methinks. As above but with 3.933 FD:

1st 37 (35.5)
    2nd 62 (60.1)
    3rd 90.5 (86.9)
    4th 129.8 (124.7)
    5th 163.6 (157.20)

Cruising Mph in 5th:

2krpm = 51.1 (49.1)
    3krpm = 76.7 (73.7)

Better imo, without removing the urgency to the acceleration. As to whether it's worth the extra cost (and hassle for Paul) that depends. I'm used to the standard gearing on the Mk1a - it was well suited to the 4A-GE characteristics. That said I think slightly longer gearing would suit the V6 better (especially in view of the torque to weight ratio) without denting performance, although I'm not a 'bahn stormer who cruises everywhere at 500mph.

The 6 speed option is definitely compelling but I think if I sort the FD on the E153 I should have a nice shift quality (not driven a E153 but the N/A Mk2 shift was nice) and decent gearing now, which allows me the option to defer the cost of going six-pack until I can afford to eat, I mean buy the S/C kit lol. Of course my assumption is that I can sell the E153 with FD when / if I go 6, assuming there's still a market for fivers then…

It is additional cost now but I have the sneaking suspicion that the 4.285 might really annoy me when I'm not attacking a circuit or something, because it over multiplies the available torque. It might be livable (and gives the option of shifting from 1st-3rd-5th with ease) but I think 3.9 will be closer to optimal.

Thoughts?

How much can I get a 3.933 FD for and where?

Maybe it's me but in my friends Alfa V6 it cruised well below 3K at 80+. Lovely and relaxing.

To me that would make sense but for the money spent on raising the cruise limit @3000Rpm by 10mph is it worth it?

Maybe if it's a daily driver and you will be racking up 15K a year but I'm sure it's going to be a toy?

So for the weekends when you are out and about and you are cruising or you actually get up to cruising speed on our road system, is it money well spent?

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast