Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Meisters Mk1 2gr-fe conversion - project mindfuck.

Have I ever said how much I love TB? lol

Marc - Yes, the logo is awesome :thumbsup:

I'll be running WMS brakes on the front with ST185 discs and had planned to incorporate some MKII rear discs for a nice balance. Either way, the engineering efforts of both you and Paul (as well as the TB "Hive Mind") are much appreciated in helping to make this happen. I just have to persuade my bank manager now lol
    Last edited by Diesel Meister; 03-03-2010 at 22:53.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ah marc are you aware our Uk mk1's don't even have a charcoal cannister at all? Toyota just decided to vent the gasses straight into the chassis, which was nice of them :) So i make them more like a USDM car by adding a charcoal cannister which it really should have in my opinion.

Yes marc and i are working on a hub upgrade, there is no way i want to rely on st185 CV's on this car.

The chassis is also receiving strengthening mods which i am uploading now, details in a mo.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Ah marc are you aware our Uk mk1's don't even have a charcoal cannister at all? Toyota just decided to vent the gasses straight into the chassis, which was nice of them :) So i make them more like a USDM car by adding a charcoal cannister which it really should have in my opinion.

Yes marc and i are working on a hub upgrade, there is no way i want to rely on st185 CV's on this car.

The chassis is also receiving strengthening mods which i am uploading now, details in a mo.
    oh, it hadn't occurred to me that the charcoal canister was optional. this explains a bit more why us domestic cars don't have that fuel/air seperator. the charcoal canister does a good job of seperating it anyways.

are you saying your vent line goes strait into the nipple on the left side of the frame next to the clutch line? is there any vacuum applied to the tank?

Pre-cat UK cars generally stink of fuel by comparison to older models. Personally, I love it lol

There is a known issue on very high power/torque Mk1 engine swaps that can lead to the front and rear torque mounts tearing the chassis mounts clean off, anything over 300bhp and very hard launches can crack and tear the chassis mounting points, this is basically a captive nut inside 1.6mm thick steel, which is fine for a 4age and even 300bhp 3sgtes driven sensibly etc.... but just not beefy enough for loony swaps like this.

So the front torque mount area got a 5mm plate welded over a far wider area to spread the load.... this needs seam sealing and painting but it will be strong as an ox, albeit a 2gr powered ox :)

With this done i was able to make the front torque mount itself, nothing you haven't seen before on the other v6/1.5 builds....

This will get a polyurethane mount bushing inserted.

On the rear chassis mount i started by adding a 5mm thick angle iron section to the chassis, lets see it rip that fecker off!

Not taking any chances with strength on this build, everything is getting severely overengineered, we know what petes was like and i cannot compute the same experience in a Mk1.... by the way is pete still alive? :)

Rear torque mount building tomorrow and then the engine can come back out.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

are you saying your vent line goes strait into the nipple on the left side of the frame next to the clutch line? is there any vacuum applied to the tank?
    Yep, no vacuum applied to the tank at all on UK mk1's, it just goes into that condenser/separator and then vented into the chassis.... lol No Toyota recall on that design flaw i notice? That reminds me, must take my mk1 back to them for the rusty rear arches. :)

Mk1's stink to high heaven of fuel when the check valve on the chassis fails.... which is hardly surprising. So DM's will get a charcoal cannister.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Yep, no vacuum applied to the tank at all on UK mk1's, it just goes into that condenser/separator and then vented into the chassis.... lol No Toyota recall on that design flaw i notice? That reminds me, must take my mk1 back to them for the rusty rear arches. :)

Mk1's stink to high heaven of fuel when the check valve on the chassis fails.... which is hardly surprising. So DM's will get a charcoal cannister.
    oh, a check valve. that makes sense now! i assume the checkvalve only allows air in the tank, not out, right? enough to not vac-lock the fuel system.

this will be good enough for the race car. it'll stop me from splashing the insides of the motor with extra gasoline. thanks for the tip!

as for all the reinforcement work, it's looking great. ought to be strong enough to pull the front wheels off the ground :)

Yes that about explains how it works, a truely shit idea. I heard there was supposed to have been a memo sent out from Toyota HQ to all dealers to remove the chassis vent pipe from the chassis (after the check valve) on all cars during the PDI.... so that drivers did not get the fuel smell in the cabin, instead it just vented out to atmosphere.... but sadly this memo must have gone in the bin or never existed.

Nice work on the axles lads, this will be usefull for a lot of people! And the strenghtening looks good too, no way that coming off!

Loving it.

My brief is simple ( lol ) - build me a 2GR Mk1 that's rapid and reliable. The "cheap" bit of the equation is out the window lol

All I've got to hope is that the combo of handling, brakes and my bravery (no talent to speak of) are up to to letting this car do it's thing properly. I see tuition time coming....

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast