Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Meisters Mk1 2gr-fe conversion - project mindfuck.

Gouky Engineering is actually "Frankenstein Motorworks" if you ask the state i currently live in.

as for the final drive stuff, i'd not worry about it until you've truly decided you aren't going to go 6-spd. the motor won't care much about spinning a little higher, it sounds a little angry about it, but it'll do it all day long and still get pretty good fuel economy. in an MKI i bet it gets over 35UKMPG with stock 4.285 gears on the highway.

if you do find 3.625 gears, don't worry about it taking the shock and awe away from the car. the torque still comes on hard enough to make 1st gear useless.

Dr Frankenstein lol

Re. the FD - I guess I'll just start in third then.

Wow! That looks mentally good!!! Way to go. :thumbsup:
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Kars the Mk3 bay is narrower than a mk1 bay between the rails, and between the struts, it also has a large bit of its bay under the parcel shelf of the car, so that is a problem too... there is obviously enough room for a 2gr because it has been done before in a mk3 but it must be very tight.

I have had to relieve the front firewall, ditch the brake servo pipe and petrol tank evap tubing, but i have good clearance around the front of the engine now and i seem to have the gearbox sitting in the same place it sits on a 1.5 swap.

One major plus point is that i have not had to chop the engine lid catch off the rear firewall, that is the first Mk1 V6 of ANY type to retain that, which is all down to the plenum design, i really like that.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    ... ditch the ... petrol tank evap tubing...

I'm curious what you do to replace this functionality. i've had to ditch this on my 86 and i don't have a plan yet on how to keep the fuel tank vented without just venting to the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Gouky; 03-03-2010 at 11:31.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    In the past i have ditched that useless evap tubing and just installed one of the vac lines to a charcoal cannister and the other straight to the check valve on the chassis, seems to work ok. I think that long tube on the bulkhead is some sort of condenser but i've never looked into its actual role, largely unimportant though.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    In the past i have ditched that useless evap tubing and just installed one of the vac lines to a charcoal cannister and the other straight to the check valve on the chassis, seems to work ok. I think that long tube on the bulkhead is some sort of condenser but i've never looked into its actual role, largely unimportant though.
    i was spending time staring at it last weekend. i took the tank out to change the fuel pump. it looks like the three small lines go to the front middle and rear of the tank and the large line goes to the canister. probably to stop fuel from making it strait into the charcoal canister if parked on a steep angle.

I saved the middle line and the plan was to feed it to the engine through a thermostatic valve. i suppose it if ever picks up strait fuel it won't be the end of the world. the engine won't mind going rich for a few cycles. the thermostatic valve stops the fumes from getting out through the intake when the car is parked and stinking up the place.

Fuck a duck that looks mahooooooooooosive in there! Hats off sir!

Paul will you need to do any modifications to the rear suspension? Or can you use the stock parts?

And Gouky nice logo :)

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmmm View Post
    Paul will you need to do any modifications to the rear suspension? Or can you use the stock parts?

And Gouky nice logo :)
    Thanks, and you've got interesting timing.

Paul and I decided the axleshafts that fit in the MKI simply won't do. I'm actualy developing a couple of parts to be able to put MKII turbo axleshafts in an MKIa/b knuckle.

these parts will be available very soon and will probably be useful for many other people also. no solid idea on cost yet. instalation will be no more complicated than a brake job and a wheel bearing change. stock MKII rear brakes will then fit on there, requiring upgraded front brakes to balance the system

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast