123456713 ...

thread: Diesel Meisters Mk1 2gr-fe conversion - project mindfuck.

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    A little bit of history made today! Say hello to the worlds first 2gr mounted in a Mk1...

This took some pretty major mods to the engine bay to achieve, and will only sit in this position to clear everything. I had to modify the rear crossmember as well as the front firewall, but it's all in and hanging on its new chassis mounts. Nothing is detailed, it doesn't even have a flywheel installed, this is just a dry hanging to get the engine mounts done, it all has to come back out again. The rear firewall will be reconstructed with a nice access panel for maintenance.

Sump clearance is good.... but at a cost of engine lid mods.

It will obviously need a WS TD lid as will any 2gr mk1, it's got to sit at this height to keep driveshafts happy and sump clearance.

So by far the biggest hurdle overcome, a hanging 2gr in a mk1.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Good work Paul

Mar 2005
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Nice :thumbsup: that bay looks pretty full now!

Mar 2005
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    You're not kidding gary! It's mighty tight in there, but should look awesome when it's all detailed and boxed in. This thing is going to be insane.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Nov 2008
    Das Krapital
    Fark me!

Awesome Paul, awesome. I need to wire some funds for the other bits and pieces mate.

This is looking like being the absolute pooches pouch :thumbsup:

Makes all the long working hours worth it.

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    it looks glorious sitting in there.

is it possible to get a better shot of the right side from the top to see how the supercharger drive assembly would fit in there?

Apr 2005
    (OLD) South Wales
    it looks glorious sitting in there.
    :amen:I've got to agree, there must be a temptation to leave a big hole in the rear firewall so you can show off those headers.

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

Feb 2008
    Dartford
    Holy mother of god thats big.

Dec 2006
    Netherlands
    That's a tight fit :) But making good progress there Paul, you will have finished all the 2GR swaps before I finish mine ;) How big is the Mk1 engine bay compared to the Mk3?

Nov 2008
    Das Krapital
    The "G-PIPE" (tm) headers are a drool fest that's for sure - props to Gouky Engineering inc. lol

I can't quite believe it actually fits. I thought the cabin would need a bit of shrinkage. So long as minor service items are quasi accessible and I can fit behind the wheel, it doesn't matter :)

I'm not sure if the S/C will fit but then we're asking a lot of the car to fit 24 valves, 6 cylinders, 4 cams and 3.5 litres into the same space as a 4A-GE! Woodsport wizardry at work.

Next thoughts are FD - I'm really tempted to lengthen it before the box goes on TBH. Even if the 6 speed option is available this year, I'm planning on going down to one car in order to dual fund this build and the missus' housing budget. So I'll need a car I can stand to drive on longer trips as well as "recreational trips"

I think I'd like a 3.625 for when I'm sitting at M-way speeds but I worry that (a) 3.6 is not available over here and the ex-rate is shocking; and (b) 3.6 may sap some of the "shock and awe" from the crucial "through the gears" acceleration. What do we think about 3.933 as a compromise? Still shortish for the engine spec but better than 4.285 and options are limited.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Diesel Meister; 02-03-2010 at 23:17.

123456713 ...

•