Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: From No MR2 to V6 conversion

It's not about the power - it's about the delivery and the torque :)

thanks johnny, I do actually know that, but power to weight is a common measure that would allow me to compare with something like a porsche boxter, or anything else more common.

It would be great to actually drive one, but i am probably months from even getting an MR2

Torque to weight isnt usually quoted, though i absolutely agree, torque is what makes for grunt in everyday driving

With a nice exhaust job, filter and heads, you're in the region of 220bhp, 210lb/ft - but with 170lb/ft from virutally idle.

now that sounds interesting!

Can you define for me, what a nice exhaust job would be, though i guess we are only talking an after market exhaust here?

and, what sort of head work? opening up ports? bigger valves?, skim the head, to go from a standard Camry with what 188 bhp to 220 is it mild work or more extreme.

thanks Johnny

A good V6 conversion (200hp+ atw N/A 1MZ or 3VZ)

A MKII = 1200-1300kg?

A MkI = 1000-1100kg?

A MkIII = 980Kg+?

A 986 Boxster S = 1300kgs, ~250bhp, ~225lb.ft.

A 987 Boxster S = ~1400kgs, ~300bhp, ~250lb.ft.

V6 MR2 = similar or better performance, slightly inferior ride / handling / snob appeal, approx 20-50% of the cost to buy and run, depending on how you spec it :)

The Coxster is a great car but I'd rather have a Gayman or a 911 as I'm not into drop-tops. As I can't afford either, I'm ruining a perfectly good AW11 with a 24v, quadcam enema lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    now that sounds interesting!

Can you define for me, what a nice exhaust job would be, though i guess we are only talking an after market exhaust here?

and, what sort of head work? opening up ports? bigger valves?, skim the head, to go from a standard Camry with what 188 bhp to 220 is it mild work or more extreme.

thanks Johnny
    Removing of the stock Y pipe
    Porting head
    Light Flywheel will release some horses to the wheels
    Mk2 Turbo exhaust (stock or aftermarket).

thanks Diesel Meister, thats the sort of detail that starts putting this project into perspective!

I'm not knocking porsches by the way, its just common reference points.

just looking thru the forum material and Earl's story in particular, kind of confirmed for me is that, plenty of torque make most every day driving fun & easy, using the engines torque rather than revs means better fuel consumption than you would have expected for a 3 liter engine, then as Johnny said, getting that torque from low down & over a wide spread of revs gives great traffic light performance.

So unfortunately i cant nip out and test drive one of these cars tonight, but i can get an idea in my head!

Thanks Johnny, I am working on a theory, that for what i want, (which I know is way different to the direction you have gone) I should get a standard MR2 for lightness, availibilty and parts, around 220bhp is ok for what i want and now i have an idea of how that would be achieved... what a great forum!!!

I'd get a Mk2 GTS Tintop. Strip it out and throw in a 2GR if funds would allow you that luxury. Failing that, use a 1MZ-FE

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Removing of the stock Y pipe
    Porting head
    Light Flywheel will release some horses to the wheels
    Mk2 Turbo exhaust (stock or aftermarket).
    pretty mild stuff then, in fact practically what Paul does in the conversion anyway!

Note your comments on mk2 GTS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast