Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Toyota Mk3.6 - 400bhp

Official Toyota Mk3.6 - 400bhp

Not sure if this is repost (apologies if its in the wrong place as well) but pistonheads have a brief run down of a Toyota concept based on MkIII chassis running a 3.3 V6:

Clicky

V6 plus electric motors = uber-torque (divided by full-some curbweight).

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Meister View Post
    Not sure if this is repost (apologies if its in the wrong place as well) but pistonheads have a brief run down of a Toyota concept based on MkIII chassis running a 3.3 V6:

Clicky

V6 plus electric motors = uber-torque (divided by full-some curbweight).
    yeah, I'm drooling over this thing. if they ever release it i think i just might need a 3rd MR2 in my driveway :rlol:

400bhp is certainly compelling. 1400kgs+ is less so but I still dig it (looks are an acquired taste I'll admit).

Even with the hybrid angle, I doubt they'll bother with production of something else sporty and affordable due to the FT86 (which is promising but not yet "mouth-watering" imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Meister View Post
    400bhp is certainly compelling. 1400kgs+ is less so but I still dig it (looks are an acquired taste I'll admit).

Even with the hybrid angle, I doubt they'll bother with production of something else sporty and affordable due to the FT86 (which is promising but not yet "mouth-watering" imo).
    honestly, the only thing the FT86 has going for it is that it would most likely be possible to fit it with the EZ36 motor. flat 6 motor with 7 main bearings. puts out about the same power as the 2GR, but in a more balanced package that probably allows more revs and more boost.

Yup - needs more cylinders. Great minds etc. lol

There is a feature on it in banzai or the other jap mag sounds great but and it's a big but the weight of the batterys far out weighs the sportyness so 400bhp and a half ton of batterys, you may as well put a ships anchor in the boot of a Ferrari, what do all sports cars designers hate excessive weight cause it ruins the handleing and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    There is a feature on it in banzai or the other jap mag sounds great but and it's a big but the weight of the batterys far out weighs the sportyness so 400bhp and a half ton of batterys, you may as well put a ships anchor in the boot of a Ferrari, what do all sports cars designers hate excessive weight cause it ruins the handleing and everything.
    i don't disagree, but it would be nice if TOyota gave us a new MR2 platform to work on. if you don't like the hybrid stuff, think of it as easy weight reduction :)

or perhaps with some ultracapacitor technology you could replace the batteries with something ligher (though less energy) not so much for fuel economy, but for neck breaking acceleration.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Is it just me or does the chassis look a bit stretched on that? Seems to have more land between the door and rear wheel than a stock Mk3?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yeah I think it's quite a loose relation to a Mk3. Chassis is defo messed with, most likely to accomodate all the gubbins. Although that body kit is damned distracting lol

Be interesting to see more engineering detail / layout etc.

I'm not knocking having a new mr2 platform just the Eco use to justify a small sportscar, i'm fed up here of the eco warriors banging on about how good hybrids and electric cars are good for the enviroment, the problem with all these ideas is where they get all the parts to make the batterys from all over the world, 1 prius takes 3 times the carbon to produce than 1 normal small car the only reason these cars exist is to satisfy Californian emissions laws, the best youse I've seen is to look up the electric drag bike on you tube highly experimental light weight batterys with a short recharge time and a long discharge, the only problem is with all this electric crap is you still need nuclear power stations to power it all if going fully electric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast