Thread: front caliper rebuild mk2 mr2

front caliper rebuild mk2 mr2

as above is it worth while trying to rebuild the front calipers on the mr2 as my passenger one is sticking iv tried to free it off but the top piston is binding and once you apply pressure to the pedel the wheel wont spin freely.is it worth putting in new seals and overhauling it or buy a new one - if its a case of a new one is a good place to get one from .

Personally, I'd go for rebuilding: I recently had this decision to make with my Mk3...
    The seal kits were around £50-ish each axle from Mr.T (I did front and rear)
    They include the lithium soap grease with one of them....I reckon you can get a kit cheaper online somewhere.......?

Rebuilding ratehr than buying from a breakers means you know where you're at: everything is new, so you have peace of mind.....!

Removing the piston is easy: you can use a medium-sized Philips screwdriver through the threaded brake-line hole onto the back of the piston.....push down steadily until it is free..dont push too hard, obviously...but you dont need an airline, etc....

(Rears are a different story, though.....!)

just had a price of £70.00 plus the dreaded exchange for the caliper - or £27.00 for the seal kit and £13.00 each for new pistons all from brakes international . i think i will just get the caliper so i dont need to strip anything down i just dont have the time at the moment. seems like good prices to me i think mr t wanted around £240.00 plus the vat for the front caliper.

Probably the best way to go - I tried a caliper refurb' kit and it didn't improve it much. Went to a Motor Factors and just bought exchange units. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

yeah just rung mr t cant get anything until the 5th / 6th january [ crazy ] im gonna get an exchange 1 try to at least save a bit of hassle if at all poss - just not the right weather for crawling under cars

I have refurbed my front and rear calipers and they were all moving free for a few months then as soon as the car stood for a week they went back to square one.

I say get a caliper, have you tried to get one from someone breaking a car.

Thats what i have recently done cut the cost by 3 and i now have 4 fully working calipers worth the look mate.

Cheers
    Mark

yeah i have thought about all of this - i just prefer to get a new/exchange one then at least you know where your at . i dont like taking any chances with brakes if you see what i mean.

If you are going to replace the calipers all round you might as well add stainless braided hoses at the same time. An extra hour or so on top of the work you are already doing but the difference in the feel and response of the brakes is impressive and it'll add to the qualtiy when you do your 1mz conversion.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

that is defo my plan i put a new caliper on yesterday as the old one was seized and was stopping any free spin in the passenger side wheel [ not good ] the work on the mr2 conversion will be starting next yr . so the braided lines are on the cards .