Thread: Link G4 Traction Control

Link G4 Traction Control

Hi Guys,

I'm considering getting a link G4 unit fitted and mapped to my V6 Celica and I have noticed on the link website that it says it can do traction control.

Now this interests me with the Celic being FWD it does tend to wheel spin alot in the wet.

My question to you lot is how does the traction control work on G4 unit and will I need to buy any auxilary parts for this function to work?

Cheers

Leigh

I think ive read somewhere that the Link ECU doenst have traction control, just launch contol.

Edit: found it, from a porsche forum:

''The G4 Traction Control works as a rpm limiter mapped against ground speed (0-60).
    To do full traction control it would need to compare wheel speed from a driven and an undriven wheel and then adjust timing on alternating cylinders to try to reach a set slip value (around 10-20%). And that is a different kind of function than the "rpm limiter vs ground speed function".

The G4 does not have wiring inputs for several wheel speed sensors, just a vehicle speed input. I'm sure there is ways of getting more signals into the box but you still don't have the functionality in the software.

A proper stand alone traction control would include different settings to be able to set up a wet/dry switch, variable slip etc.
    I like Link a lot, but in that territory I link the DTA systems a lot more...''

I found this on the link forum it hints at the differential speed sensors being part of the software you just need to tell it which is the driven wheel and which id the non-driven wheel

http://www.linkecu.com/forum/forums/...List/972656870

On miy Link ECU im using the Traction control as a launch control. Unsure whether you can use it as actual traction control though as in the software the slip values etc dont seem to be there to add data under that section

tbh i mainly want it as launch control to limit wheel spin

Don't bother - just get a Solaris!

The traction control strategy on the Solaris allows you to specify a spin target as a function of either steering wheel angle and road speed, or as a function of lateral G and road speed. Additionally if you have a lap beacon, you can tweak the spin target as a function of lap distance; if you already know that a track has a low grip section at a given point then you can adjust your spin targets for that section.

Spin is calculated by comparing individual wheel speeds to the road speed. A spin error is calculated by comparing the actual spin to the spin target, the result of this calculation multiplied by the gain, and that is used to generate a torque reduction value. This value is clamped as a function of RPM, before being used to index into the fuel cut severity and ignition retard lookup maps, that define the actual amount of fuel cut and actual ignition retard as a function of desired torque reduction and EGT.

You can use the EGT dimension to balance the torque reduction so as to prevent turbo or exhaust valve damage; imagine for a moment a situation with low EGT but too much wheelspin, you may be able to completely control the situation simply with ignition retard, it will be smoother (unless the resultant timing generates misfires) than using a fuel cut, but if the EGT was already high, the last thing you need is to dump even more heat into the exhaust, so a fuel cut would be better. Obviously if a situation starts with low EGTs but it's very slippy and the strategy has to run for a long time, you can configure the tables so that it "rides" up the EGT dimension with the bias shifting from retard to cut.

Hopefully this gives some insight into the way the traction control works on the Solaris.

It's the best ECU out there, in my opinion.

Cheers Johny, not sure i'll be able to reach the solaris price. Does the link just use the exisitn abs speed sensors for launch control?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticgeordie2007 View Post
    Cheers Johny, not sure i'll be able to reach the solaris price. Does the link just use the exisitn abs speed sensors for launch control?
    It should do - the ABS sensors are fine for speed reading. The MR2 has 48 teeth I think, so that should provide a good resolution.

I still say Solaris lol

I would love the Solaris but for the price of buying one i can get a link or emerald including fitting and mapping.

Or have a look at the DTA, has traction control and launch control built in