Thread: Advice needed for Rev3 Turbo thermostat replacement

Advice needed for Rev3 Turbo thermostat replacement

My over heating problem has returned. I have a replacement thermostat ready to fit, but would like some hints and tips please. Can't find anything on here.

Many thanks
    Steve

Steve, I'd try replacing the radiator cap with a genuine Toyota one. This is fix that Woodsy discovered and has been used successfully by a number of TBers. Worth a try for a few quid.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Thanks, sorry but why would that help? High pressure cap?
    Cheers
    Steve

From what I recall [and I may be wrong] it releases at the correct pressure unlike a worn or copy aftermarket one, which stays closed at the optimal release point. PM him, he may be able to help.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Not so much as the release of pressure, but on cooling the bad seal on the cap lets air in, this is bad !, no one like air locks ! The air lock can cause pump cavitation, hot spots and diff cooling resulting in a cracked block.

That all great information guys, but what about advice on the process of changing the thermostat?

Thanks again
    steve

Last SWTurbo thermo I did(some years ago now) was a rev2...thermo is held in an ally housing on exhaust side of #1cyl(belt end) - and I had to get a long 6 point 12mm socket to remove it, IIRR(although you may not have to, as there's no oil filter to make things tight on a rev3)...but I can't find any pics anymore... :(

I also remember the OEM thermo itself being very impressively built(Toyota wanted £78, or something like that, for a replacement)...sorry I can't be of more help though!

:)

No advice on sealing the housing or using a gasket etc....
    What about bleeding the system after? Can anyone help, can't be that difficult.
    Cheers
    Steve

Come on guys some words of wisdom please!!!!!!
    Steve

I use a 2 litre bottle on the rad cap and run the engine to get rid of air locks !!