Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodsport Mk1 aluminium radiator upgrade

As an illustration of the Mk3 stock item against a Koyo for core thickness

For me, the biggest issue on the Mk3 stock item was the plastic end caps.
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

Quote Originally Posted by loadswine View Post
    The biggest issue on the Mk3 stock item was the plastic end caps.
    ZZWs really work with...that!???!?!???!?!!????
    Yeah, plastic/10mm cores are a no no; had a guy(circa 2004) whom quoted £400 for a custom, COPPER AW rad...but budget never allowed that dream... :blink:

£250 IS a nice price(not that I wouldn't push for less tho; I'll have the 'ex demo' unit with scratches pls! Lol :D)...you are too kind Paul......

:)

Yeah I'm hoping for some R&D tax credits lol

Seriously though, I think this will be a must for 2GR+ applications, or boosted 1MZs and 3VZs.

Aha thanks for the info on the oil cooler Marc I just thought it was the oil pan take off not the complete system wow and double wow.

The alloy rad is fantastic for heat conductivety only a copper rad would be better but hugely expensive.

for what it's worth. a datapoint about the 2GRs in the MKIIs. i'm currently using a stock MKII Turbo radiator with the A/C stuff still in place and the fans only come on on the hottest days of the summer. the 2GR puts out significantly less idle heat load than the 3S-GTE and when you're moving, the fans aren't needed.

that being said, i question the ability of a radiator designed for 160rwhp to cope with the supercharged power levels we are wanting. so i think this is still a very valid need for 2GRs with forced induction.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Well the first of the upgrade rads arrived today, quality is truly excellent, and it fits a treat.

I made two brackets for the lower radiator support panel, these brackets accept the stock Mk1 radiator rubbers which work prefectly on the new rad.I will be supplying these brackets with every kit.They will need to be welded on though, that is the only catch, but it is very easy to line them up, my top bracket that i will be supplying will make it a formality to do and all of this means the stock lower rad support panel can stay in place exactly as it is now.

Here is the rad fitted on its new lower mounts...

Still got the top mounts to make...

Look at the thickness of that core! It weighs bugger all as well.

The left hand outlet points down perfectly where we need it to, and i will supply an adapter pipe that will couple this to your stock mk1 pipe.

Same for the lower pipe, it sits a little further inboard, so another adapter pipe for this too...

The rad will come with a top bleed point and i hope to be able to offer both a twin Spal fan mounting solution and a stock mk1 fan mount solution depending on your application.The Spal fan kits will of course bump the cost up.

How good does that look though? If that doesn't provide enough cooling for the v8 i might as well give up now :)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

who makes these for you paul?

I have been looking at one for the celica for AGES but the only ones i see are on ebay and as you know its quite tight in my engine bay!!!!

I was going to go for a thicker core ali rad and slimline fan

Quote Originally Posted by craig87 View Post
    who makes these for you paul?

I have been looking at one for the celica for AGES but the only ones i see are on ebay and as you know its quite tight in my engine bay!!!!

I was going to go for a thicker core ali rad and slimline fan
    I won't expect Paul to divulge his sources. He is in business after all.

That's a cracking rad there Paul looks fantastic forgive the unintentional pun.

Will these be available on all your future conversions as an optional extra.

This could be a stupid rhetorical question.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    They sure will mate

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast