Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mk3 Roadster 3SGTE Build

Ha! Nicely done. I've been waiting for today's installment! Shame there's nothing happening next weekend :D

Nice progress, that will hold the saturn 5 in, so a 3sgte should be fine :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Symons View Post
    I did have an OOOPS! moment today though.

It looks like I will be replacing a bit of the brake hard pipe after hitting it with the angle grinder :mrgreen: (TWICE)
    I'll have a quid for every time I've done that whilst repairing or welding a car!! You're not alone mate....

Try grinding through isolastic pipes and getting a mouthfull of that as the suspension drops the car onto you.

We used to call them iso spastic but I got told off by my boss for being cruel to Austin rovers finest.

nice work gaz and 'senior.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Quote Originally Posted by adamh View Post
    nice work gaz and 'senior.

Cheers Adam, any chance of machining the driveshaft adaptors up ready for 2 weekends time? I am busy at the TB xmas do next weekend so wont be needing them then :boozer:

Going to have a play with the gear linkage tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

Next problem to solve is the gear linkage, below is the standard mk3 unit, sadly it operates the cables incorrectly for the tubby gearbox.

I am hoping that I can use the linkage from my mk1 swap. On a side note, I always had an issue with selecting first in the mk1 so I did a little measuring. By moving the cable as I did below it shortens the stroke of the linkage, if I move it back in a little I believe the problem will be fixed.

To remove the gear cable you need to drop the fuel tank. The mk3 does not have a drain point so I removed the pump and siphoned out the fuel. Below you can see the access panel that lives below the drivers side cubby hole.

Tank removed.

Below you can now see the two clamps that hold the gear cable in place.

No pics, but I roughly fitted the mk1 cables and it appears that they will be too short, so next time I will see if the mk3 cables can be used with the mk1 linkage.

No update next week as I will be at the TB christmas party.

Oooh you'll enjoy doing the assembly. Copy Paul's version from Nigel's build and you'll have 90% of it there. Bear in mind the Mk1 and Mk2 selector base plates are different. What you need to watch is where u position the stick in relation to the hole, that's the main bit.

60mm leg height to the base of the plate i used.

And if you put the Mk3 assembly base onto a bit of wood, drill through the bolt holes and then you can make the assembly off the car, much easier :)

The Mk2 cables are longer than the Mk1's IIRC and one of the Mk2 ones is longer turbo to NA.

And the tab that goes back, the hole is 2" up and 2.5" back from the front of the stick (i'll measure it 2moro and check that).

By the by, you don't have to remove the tank to get the cables out, just a ratchet spanner and salad fingers.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast