Thread: 1mz-fe sw20, lets get the ball rolling..

1mz-fe sw20, lets get the ball rolling..

hi all

just wanna start with getting everything organised before i go through with the conversion after my coming uni exams.

i've got a 1990 sw20 turbo atm (pics in my introduction thread) which is currently suffering from broken ringland. car has the gen3 e153 gearbox+axles, and a exedy heavy duty clutch. flywheel has been recently machined (under 1000km). other than that, i don't think theres anything else that would be relevant to a v6 conversion. I've already recieved a 4v6 1mz-fe engine mount for the conversion too.

just needed some help with a check/shopping list to ensure everything goes smoothly for a NA conversion

things to buy:

1mz-fe, (still looking around, would a halfcut be better?)
    factory headgasket (seems like the standard thing to replace)
    ARP studs
    anything else required for maintenance (help please!)
    axle stands, jack, engine crane.
    tools (standard spanners/socket wrenches, torque wrench)

things to do:

modify turbo flywheel
    modify axles (do gen3 axles need modifying?)
    have custom pipes made to match up exhaust manifold to existing aftermarket turbo exhaust

i think thats about it from memory. can someone please clarify if i am missing anything from above and any other pointers would be much appreciated!

make sure u have all the bits and pieces out of the v6 if ur gonna use a standard ecu.

so the immobilizer system etc etc. the more you get the better

I missed out on one thing :( the stupid evap canister thing (charcoal canister) bloody helL! apparently without it ill throw a few codes pushing me into limp mode. .. (goes off hunting) GL mate

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I missed out on one thing :( the stupid evap canister thing (charcoal canister) bloody helL! apparently without it ill throw a few codes pushing me into limp mode. ..
    Who said it would do that?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

by standard pieces does that mean ill be needing the ignition barrel and all? *scratches head