Thread: First Blood? The Cooling

First Blood? The Cooling

So I’ve moved this over to the “Cooling” thread from the bit I wrote about racing the freshly finished 1.5 at Mallory.
    I considered a whole host of ideas and schemes to solve the overheating problem, but eventually decided to do them all – it can’t run too cold can it!
    Here’s what I did:

Slightly less good looking with her clothes off
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Opened up the bulkhead to this
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Added some ally to direct air over the bulkhead lip
    [IMG][/IMG]

Twin fans on the rad at the front
    [IMG][/IMG]

Simple frame made up to support 2nd rad mounted horiz in frunk, welded to strut brace and bolted through front panel – all removable just with a spanner, rad and all.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Extra cooling carved into the nose cone
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not seen here is extra ducting work to force air coming in the grille apertures into the rads and not disperse underneath or to the sides. A chute was fabricated coming off the hole in the bulkhead and up to the new rad forcing air through there, and finally a rad sized whole in the new fibreglass bonnet.

The new rad is the first out the engine, the top hose of this then goes into the bottom of the original rad, then back to engine as normal.

We also added one of these to the bulkhead whole in the rear trunk – large transit item which generates a small hurricane and air ducts nicely out the licence plate bulb holes.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Some extra ducting in the side vent to ensure no precious cooling air molecules are lost down the quarter panel and we were done.

The test was upon us for later in the week at Brands to see if it all worked!

thats a good place to put the rad, did you say you put the origonal back in its origonal posititon? just to mention mk2 turbo fans which will fit on a mk1 rad with some simple trimming and rilling new fixing holes.
    Last edited by adamh; 01-11-2009 at 21:19.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Now that is some extreme cooling! Very inventive!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by adamh View Post
    thats a good place to put the rad, did you say you put the origonal back in its origonal posititon? just to mention mk2 turbo fans which will fit on a mk1 rad with some simple trimming and rilling new fixing holes.
    yes, the new rad is number 1 now and the original rad is in original position and is now effectively 2nd rad

Great thread. Loving the work so far. Hope it gets the desired results. :)