Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4wd

It'll need to be a monster engine to make up for that weight, and also the extra length you'll need for the chassis.

4WD SARD replica Lyndon?

Quote Originally Posted by OlberJ View Post
    It'll need to be a monster engine to make up for that weight, and also the extra length you'll need for the chassis.

4WD SARD replica Lyndon?
    There may well be a MC8 influence in the body profile.

Lyndon.
    NEW Instant MR2 Expert, just add Lager.

MCR8, don't you go confusing me again lol

Quote Originally Posted by stevehall View Post
    If you have a longitudinal engine with the belts at the back and the gearbox towards the front of the car. Any standard FWD or RWD gearbox with chunky driveshafts (E153 perhaps) will be aligned to send one shaft towards the front axle and one past the engine to the rear. Then stick a RWD diff at each end.
    Here's the plan:

With the engine in the original engine bay, effectively creating a mid4 layout.

The MT75 is the gearbox out of a ford seirra cosworth 4x4 and can be purchased relatively cheaply on eBay...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    There's something very wrong with putting a Nissan bit in a Toyota!

Unless it's that new GTR engine in the Supra :)
    Think you'll find the Nissan 350z/370z /GTR engine is a derivative of the renault 24v V6 originally designed for the V6 Laguna and Mid engined Clio II. As Renault own Nissan that is the reason for the sharing.
    Now just to throw the whole lot up in the air, what abou the 4X4 scenic system I know it's transverse but with the right renault gearbox (bellhousing pattern) alsorts are possible.
    Also have a look at the 4x4 system designed and run by Martin Shanche in the 90's with driveshafts either side of the engine....look it up it's amazing!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Looking at the diagram your biggest problem is going to be getting the rear diff to clear the suspension triangle bracket. The second major problem will be getting the forward prop to clear the steering rack.

Problems are there to be solved though :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I was looking at bit more at the MT75 box, it's certainly more suited to your job than an E153, although an E153 would allow you to mount the engine further forward / with less intrusion if that ever becomes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehall View Post
    I was looking at bit more at the MT75 box, it's certainly more suited to your job than an E153, although an E153 would allow you to mount the engine further forward / with less intrusion if that ever becomes a problem.
    something you're forgetting about that idea. using a transaxle as a transmission/transfer case dosen't work in an application like this.

let's say you manage to get a 2.73 ratio in the differentials (about the tallest available) and you change the E153 to the tallest ratio available of 3.625. your effective final drive is now 9.89625

this is great if you're offroading and using 40" tires and don't care about going more than 45mph.

but with the MKII MR2 it presents a problem. in 5th gear (.731 overdrive) you'd get to 60mph at 6200RPM. your top speed would be about 65-75mph depending on what your red-line is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    something you're forgetting about that idea. using a transaxle as a transmission/transfer case dosen't work in an application like this.

let's say you manage to get a 2.73 ratio in the differentials (about the tallest available) and you change the E153 to the tallest ratio available of 3.625. your effective final drive is now 9.89625

this is great if you're offroading and using 40" tires and don't care about going more than 45mph.

but with the MKII MR2 it presents a problem. in 5th gear (.731 overdrive) you'd get to 60mph at 6200RPM. your top speed would be about 65-75mph depending on what your red-line is.
    Good point! :doh:

Quote Originally Posted by foxy-stoat View Post
    http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthre...heel+drive+mr2

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthre...ive+mr2&page=2

Take a read, its been discussed a few times before.

Oh and some looooon is making a 4x4 corolla on here....theres lots of work involved and thats with the engine in the front....may give you some info !

http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I'm that loon and this sound really crazy.
    sorry to the knock wind out of you sails but it would be easier to graphed the front of a corolla onto the front of your mr2 and have twin engine set-up.
    imagine 2 600odd bhp 3sgte's 4wd and well over 1100ft/lbs of torque,
    still it would be hard to keeping it looking like a mr2.
    Good luck!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast