Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to convert a Mk2 Turbo Gearbox (E153) to FWD

Hi Chris! My daughter arrived back in May and I got a new job in August so the poor Mini has been neglected

Happily though, the new job has given me a BMW 320d Sport to hoon it up and down Wales in, so musn't grumble :-)

I've come across a Corolla G6 which may be broken for parts so I was planning on having the gearbox off it. I reckon I can make it fit, but research suggests I'll gain bragging rights for having a 6 speed Mini, but no improvements in cruising revs. I think the ratios I need are tucked away in a Yaris D4D gearbox but being a tight git, I'll not spend £300+ on one to try it! One day I'll find a 'box with a damaged casing going cheap and hopefully some time to fiddle about in the garage. I've recently come close to putting the Mini up for sale as its sat on my drive and I've little time to do anything with it, but I know I'll regret it in years to come,so I'll hang on to it.

Recent day-dreaming has resulted in plans for: 1> Old school Toyota Hi-Lux with Lexus V8 power and 2> MGF with Camry V6 power. Both of these require a wife that can weld and is competent with wiring so they can be done while I'm working away, but sadly mine is a Health and Safety manager, so the paperwork would kill both projects stone dead :icon_cry:

Still, never mind: maybe I'll find the time in my two weeks off to tax the mini and re-discover the thrills of driving a legendary car with an engine it was never designed for on wet and quiet Welsh roads with the needle hitting 7000rpm At least it shouldn't over-heat in this weather!

Anyway, keep up the good work. I visit the site now and then and can honestly say its the best site out there for info on toyota mechanicals. I know my input will be related to the 4-age and c-series gearboxes (and oddly, Mini's), but hopefully it'll help someone out eventually.

p.s. any other gearbox suggestions greatly appreciated !!

I forgot to mention: Instead of a small, silver, easily obtainable disc to blank off the selector hole, I used an M6 (I think, could have been M5) penny washer with the hole welded up.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'll let you into a little secret, that small silver easily obtainable metal disc used to blank off the selector hole is actually a 10p piece, it's the perfect diameter to bond into the hole, but welding a washer up works just as well.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

EDIT: Doh i already posted it was 10p up there^^

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

As we get older we hide our life savings away in the strangest of places

Won't a two pence work out cheaper to grind a bit down?

Yes but i think you do serious time in the big house Tiggs for defacing the queens currency!

Only if you intend to use it again to pay for some thing, I've already been told this by a hmc and excise guy at the royal mint as I once went there with a sovereign ring that was molded to go over my finger.
    If your never going to use it for purchasing goods and chatels and its not used to discredit the monarch at the time it's ok.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123