Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: water pump

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi Henry, you don't need to attach that bleed pipe to get all of the air out, we never use it and always manage to bleed them 100% everytime.... just undo the bleed and keep filling the filler point in the engine bay until nothing but coolant comes from the bleed.Make sure the heaters are set to HOT and crack the bleed open on the matrix valve AFTER you have expelled the air from the rad.

When you can force no more coolant into it screw the cap back on and let the engine cool totally, then top up as much as you can refit the pressure cap and run the engine until the fans kick in.Let it cool again and repeat until you can longer top it up.

I would however highly recommend having that pressure test done first on your HG.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

water pump

Yes paul i agree but living in cornwall garages are few and far between but i will try,i ment to say i am loosing about a half cup of coolent in 24 hrs with no traces of where it is coming from,could air be getting in where coolent is getting out,i put airline on rad but still no leak chears.

Well coolant loss with no leaks on the floor does indicate it is being consumed by the engine (HG breach) but you won't know for sure until that test is done, for peace of mind if nothing else.

One other place that you can lose coolant without seeing a drip on the floor is from the "hose from hell" , that is the poorly designed heater pipe that runs above the fuel tank, they crack in the same place on all Mk2's right at the rear where your heatshields are.Coolant seeps from the crack and evaporates on the hot pipe before it has a chance to drip, so i wouldn't rule this one out in your case either.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

water pump

Paul can i see this pipe if i take off the heat shield,could this cause an air lock.

Yes if you remove the large shield you can just see the pipe, there is a bracket brazed to it, this is where it fails, right on the bracket, just a poor design and we see this pipe leaking on about 6 out of every 10 cars in.If it leaks then it will cause an airlock over time.

I wouldn't hang all of your hopes on it being that pipe though, but it is certainly a possibility on your car.If it is leaking the repair means the petrol tank needs to come out.

Here is the problem area to help identify it, this one has obviously been leaking for a long time so it might not be as noticeable as this...

water pump

That looks a bad one paul ,would it be possable to connect a rubber pipe and join in each end or is it a room problem,while im on do you know where i can pick up a 12v switched feed in the frunk i tried imoc on this one but no replies thanks again henry.

Henry if any of the mk1 pipes are simular to any of your that are rotten just shout up as the knackered mk1 is going to get crushed this week as soon as I take the screen out and cut the floor panel parts out I need to repair my other one I got off Mike

Yes we repair them by chopping out the bracket and putting in a rubber section, it makes a permanent repair but you still need to drop the tank out to do it unless you have very small hands!

There are absolutely loads of 12v ign feeds in the frunk, just have a poke around your fusebox with a meter, any wire that is black/red or black/orange or black/yellow is nearly always a 12v ign wire.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345