Thread: Fibreglass...tips and traps

Fibreglass...tips and traps

Hi Guys, Well i am well on my way with sorting out the outer skin of the rear arches but the inner will be a different story, i have quite a bit to repair and although i will plate most of it i plan to get it up close to the outer, tack it and then finish off with Fibre glass..... The only issue is i have never even looked at the stuff let alone used it to do a repair.

I have had a look on the net and although there is a fair bit on info i wondered if anyone had any good links / How to guides just so i can understand the basic process and materials required.

I have found this kit

http://www.fibreglasssupplies.com/fi...-kit-235-p.asp

Is it enough material or way too much?

all advice welcome!
    JFDI

I just buy a small tub from a garage.

Its like body filler, small thin layers and allow to dry is the key.

I use a spatula and gloves to apply thin even layers.

Apply about 2-3 then sand down with heavy grit, you might find some air pockets due to the fibre construction.

You then re-apply a layer to fill in the gaps :)

Its not hard to work with, I re did a rear 1/4 on my driveway and didn't even use 1/2 a tin.

Not sure on the size of the tin, but 2-3 tins of baked beans is about the same size.

Also make sure you have a mask and googles. This stuff is harsh on the lungs and eyes.

Dremel works good on the big lumpy bits.

Cheers NA, i actually did a test bit yesterday on a small hole that i didn't fancy welding because there was alot of material behind it, it was in a non structural place so no worries there. I know what you mean about it being harsh....made my eyes water a tad!

Good advice on layering it up...apllied to layers to the bit i did but it was a bit wet still so got a little messy!
    JFDI

You'll find that its also better to do in heat, 20+ is ideal but also sets loads quicker!

I try and do mine in the sun, use umbrella while your applying then take it away to let the heat get to it.

When you come to paint it, make sure you have no air holes as you'll notice on the first coat of primer.

I did mine, primed over twice as its hard to find the high and low spots.

Then get a block or steel rule with sand paper and rub over once or twice and they'll show up, fill as appropriate then sand down and re-spray.

Its quite forgiving stuff to work with, I like it :)

If your filling screw holes... I find doing the inside first is easier, hair dryer on low setting works a treat. Then over to the outside to create a metal sandwich. They should bond and stick easily.

All this is self taught so not sure if its the right or wrong way but i've had perfect results.

I had a crack at this with surprising result, its actually quite forgiving if not a little messy! Pretty easy to trim and sand after though..all in all very pleased!
    JFDI