Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Its been a while...

forgot i took this photo.. a big bucket full of wires stripped out. Fingers crossed nothing car loom related came out with them!!!

Por 15 ordered, lower ball joints and tie rod ends ordered...
    JFDI

Yeah I pulled a pile of wiring like that out of a 944 once. It was wired up like christmas tree by what I can only assume was a blind nutless chimp.

It's very liberating throwing the excess out, especially if the car still works fine afterward!

:)

Chris

just thinking ahead to the engine removal and thinking about getting an engine crane... a cheep one has come up for sale not too far away from me... i think its this one...

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-343116/c...ne-1000kg.html

will it do the job or do i need a more sturdy one?
    JFDI

We used a cheap 1000kg on full reach (250kg) to remove the 3VZ-fe engines and it worked just fine.

Chris

Same as the one I have so far done 3 engine removals and installs so pretty good I only paid £100 on eBay as it was local there normally about £130/£150. It's the engine level or a good bit of doubled up chain to lift it out that's needed just don't buy cheap stuff as your lifting a heavy load, and if a chain link snaps it can take an eye out, you can also buy engine hoist straps which I use much safer.

To fit in with our ethos we used camry seatbelts.

:-0

Chris

Good to see you're still on this, keep the updates coming!

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    To fit in with our ethos we used camry seatbelts.
    Haha i like that! Very ghetto :)

well had a few hours on it yesterday... must have spent 30 mins getting a rear torque bolt out, seriously managed to round it off, in the end i had to grind to flat surfaces, get a grip on it and put a 3 ft breaker bar onto that... got it ion the end though.... boy that felt good!!!!

well its about ready to come out but i am waiting on a hoist...

the question i have is int he following pic the wire loom that can be seen on the left of the block disappears around the back of the engine, i couldn't figure out where this goes too and how to un connect it... any pointers?

JFDI

more progress today.. probably the most significant in a long time.

I know I'm not planning a swap of some kind but this thread is my little record of achievement.. you never know i might be brave enough to do a few unique things along the way!

well i decided the time had come to drop the engine, Thanks to the excellent guide, oh and the oil cooler notes after i had managed over the last few weeks to get down to the final engine mounts so here goes!

even the wife seemed interested in a brief break from watching some kind of fancy dress event on the tele!

well here is the beast on the floor

and then up on the stand

and no self respecting engine out post would be complete without the obligatory

i have never done anything like this before.... and tbh i was really pleased with the days work!

the only thing i found to make life easier was to re attach the rear torque mount to the chassis, i could then loop my strap around it to lift the body up high enough with the hoist to be able to drag the engine out easily (on a strategically placed piece of carpet)

all in all a good day!
    JFDI

more progress to report..

well after a few e-mails with Mr woods himself with the potential prospect of the full woodsport engine overhaul treatment i have unfortunately had to scale back my ambition due to some uncertain work contracts (i own a small business with 2 other guys)... so despite not having much of clue when it comes to engines after much reading i am going to see how much i can do myself.

I still have alot of welding to do on the passenger rear inner arch so i decided to make life easy and drop out the suspension, i also spent ages drilling out rusted bolts that hold the exhaust heat shield on.

things not looking too bad under to boot floor

i had wanted to separate the drive shaft from the hub, but that baby was not budging... i have an air compressor with an impact gun that did not touch it... i thought a breaker bar would do the trick but this was the result..

I have left the hub in the vice with a well of wd, hoping it will soak in.... I even heated it up but could not budge it

i have also split the engine and removed the sump etc and oil pump, head is going to refurb by a local engineering shop based on a good friends mates rates.

the only real negative was a rusted sub frame bolt, no real chance of a socket getting it out so any ideas appreciated...

i wrecked the lower ball joint taking it off but i have replacements so not an issue, what i didn't realize was the tie rod end seems to be impossible to get new, so if anyone has any options then it would be greatly appreciated, i sense a custom part being made anyone had them done using the front tie rod end?
    JFDI

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast