drivers side

Well, did a bit more today,

windscreen out (not in one piece)
    Bonnet off
    Boot fully stripped
    initial rust cut out drivers side

here is what i had to start with

Here is what i ended up with

I was a little lucky today, i decided to only take a little off the arch and was glad i did as the aerial cable rests in the void and was directly in the grinding zone, Had it been on the other side i would have probably cut right through it.. something for people to watch out for when doing theirs i guess

On a really positive note i was certain this side would be worse but actually its probably more solid, not long before the welding starts i think!
    JFDI

Dec 2006
    Netherlands
    Nice progress and loving the pics, might be usefull to a lot of people, just to see what the problem areas are and some ideas on fixing it!

Aug 2008
    Manchester
    Nice progress and loving the pics, might be usefull to a lot of people, just to see what the problem areas are and some ideas on fixing it!
    i agree. this is great and so usefull to the mk1 owners on here. Not the lucky mk2 and 3 owners with their fancy-pants galvanised bodies etc lol

Oct 2005
    Shavington, Crewe
    Cheers guys, after finishing off that side today i am going to pickup the fertan and wax oil and make sure everything internal that i can reach gets a liberal coating

On theother side i managed to get an airline into the sill and blew out loads of crap so will definitly be doing the same on this side.

Question for you though: Obviously there is alot of welding preping left to do on the body but i am already starting to think about the engine. Jos include gearbox change, clutch, water pump, cam belt, and a good fettle (nothing but a clean and tidy). Do people think i need to drop the engine out? and if so should i do it before i send her to paint, that way i can still carry on with the engine work?
    JFDI

Mar 2005
    south east
    howdy again boon, its easier to work the engine on the floor, spent too many hours trying to split boxes from underneath!.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Jul 2009
    NE Scotland
    Keep up the good work.

I have one Mk1 that needs a little TLC on the road and another one off the road that need a lot more TLC.

So I'll be keeping an eye on this for the photo's & advise.

Oct 2005
    Shavington, Crewe

slow progress..but progress

Well due to enjoying myself far to much over the weekend not too much has happened but here is the latest progress.

First thing first..Vice installed!;)

Then after some advice by a friend here is my attempts at matching up some metal for the rear arch, to be honest its not exactly how i would like it to be but its getting there and a few more cuts and i think i will be happy to start welding

Not over happy with how this has worked out at the moment but i plan on trimming the arch at the white line which then should but up to to the other panel and the line of the arch should flow ok.

My plan is to weld the 3 new pieces together, get a neat job of it then treat them and weld them in place on the body.

I have decided that with the inners i will repair them after the outer is on so i have something to work up too, i'll prob end up bonding them together.

I found that the JDM panels need alot of fettling but they are about 3 years old so they may have improved since then, better to have something than nothing though.

One thing i was worried about was the dimensions, at first when i offered the wheel up and sat it on the hub the front sill return looked alot nearer the rubber than the rear. I trimmed it back a little and i am personally more happy but it would be good to know if there are any dimensions in line with the below

Finally i started to look at what i will do with the A pillar and have made a template put of card, i'll cut 3 panels out and weld them up off the car, then offer them up, fettle and weld.

going to rescue my gas bottle for the welder tomorrow and then have a bit of practice on some spare sheet (its been a while) Fertan has been ordered so only some zinc primer left to pick up then get on with it..Going to talkle the A post first....wish me luck!
    JFDI

Oct 2005
    Shavington, Crewe
    Well today i tackled the A post.

Based on the mock up i made this in fill panel panel

Was quite alot of messing about, i even heated it up and shaped it to the profile of the piller..managed to burn and cut myself at the same time but i think it will be worth it, i started to weld it in and although not finished i am happy with the result

It even passed in house quality control..he said it wasn't bad for a beginner!

Today was the first time i have welded in over 10 years and last time it was angle iron mainly so i am pretty pleased with what i did to be honest, i even made the final cuts to the rear arch and tacked the 3 pieces together, i have a bit more cutting to do to the body work before i start to weld her up but that will have to be for another day!
    JFDI

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    managed to burn and cut myself at the same time but i think it will be worth it, !
    lol that's dedication for ya.

Good work. Nice to see a Mk1 being saved.

Kwality dug too :thumbsup:

Oct 2005
    Shavington, Crewe

the fertan arrives! Rust beware:whip:
    JFDI

12345612 ...

•