Thread: Painting the Charge cooler

Painting the Charge cooler

Will you notice a difference in temperatures if you paint the charge cooler a different colour?

Might seem a silly question but Black absorbes heat so will painting it help? I was thinking of painting mine white but if it makes no difference I will just leave it black :)

Thanks

it really is a double edged sword that one.

black catches the heat.

more paint lessens the abillity to transfer the heat, the thicker you make the coating the worse it will get:(

Well, ya can't go wrong with some thick heat-resistant paint and maybe some heat resistant wrap along the bottom of it to insulate it from the heads. Heat wrapping the exhaust system may help a bit, keep the heat in the exhaust not in the engine bay which'll help keep everything a lil cooler ;)
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Dont know what to do now I quite like the top black now. Has anyone actaully done any tests too see what differences painting it makes? Surely Toyota wouldnt have painted it black if it affected the performance / cooling. hhmmm

Is it just realy a cosmetic mod painting the top of it eg to match the car?

Remember, in a GT4 it has a scoop ramming cold air straight down onto the charge cooler, on an Mr2 it's ontop of the engine with the heat getting drawn up past it and out the lid.

Having the matting on the bottom i'd say is more important than the colour.

Forgot about that

Im going to do the matting on the bottom anyway so might just leave the top black for now.

still needs airflow to get the heat out...

more paint and matting will reduce airflow