Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retaining functions with a standalone ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    Very easy to say, not quite so easy to actually do ;)

Lyndon.

That's why we employ the services of the professionals :)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    That's why we employ the services of the professionals :)

Which is exactly what i will do if it gets too complicated lol, just trying to understand all the issues/pitfalls at the moment.

If converting to the 3sgte with a standalone removes the abs/aircon etc so be it. At least it will be a weight saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Symons View Post
    Which is exactly what i will do if it gets too complicated lol, just trying to understand all the issues/pitfalls at the moment.

If converting to the 3sgte with a standalone removes the abs/aircon etc so be it. At least it will be a weight saving.
    It won't mate, if all done properly :)

How about retaining abs if i am to also use the sensors for traction control?
    As the 2 pauls have discussed this would need a new sensor mounting and toothed wheel of some sort on the rear axles.

Gary, FYI, Direct Fire part numbers for the ST215 Calidina, which has a 4th Gen 3SGTe in it are

Spark Plug Coil Pack Assembly - 90919-02227 (aug-97 to xxxx) 4 required

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Symons View Post
    How about retaining abs if i am to also use the sensors for traction control?
    As the 2 pauls have discussed this would need a new sensor mounting and toothed wheel of some sort on the rear axles.
    Well, the Mk3 has ABS, so I'm guessing it'll be something like a 48 tooth ABS hub like most other Toyota's - and for ABS you'll have 4 of them.

The traction control works like the ABS in reverse. You can have both!

Only thing I can think of to worry about though, is that if the car had ABS as standard, it HAS to work for MOT.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Your ABS will be retained Gary - there's no question.

All of the Supra's that I've seen mapped all retain the ABS.

does the abs not have a seperate computer? im sure i've seen it seperate in some cars, just can't remember what.

as for going to direct fire with a 3sgte, wouldn't it be easy to use the dizzy as the cam angle sensor? thats what im doing when i get my standalone done, no need for a trigger wheel on the crank afaik

bosch makes some good aftermarket coils, i'll be using them HEC716 or HEC715 i think off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by aw11man View Post
    does the abs not have a seperate computer? im sure i've seen it seperate in some cars, just can't remember what.

as for going to direct fire with a 3sgte, wouldn't it be easy to use the dizzy as the cam angle sensor? thats what im doing when i get my standalone done, no need for a trigger wheel on the crank afaik

bosch makes some good aftermarket coils, i'll be using them HEC716 or HEC715 i think off the top of my head.
    Yes, the abs does have a seperate ecu on the mk3. looking at the wiring diagrams it does also interface with the main ecu though. I havent actually studied it yet though to see what it actually does (probably not alot, error reporting maybe?). From other posts it sounds like it wont be an issue, i just like to understand what is going on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast