Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will et30 8.5j fit my Mk2?

Will et30 8.5j fit my Mk2?

I am possibly buying some used wheels which are 18" with et30 8.5j spec rears. They are fitted with 245/40/18 tyres which I may get away with as I am curently running on OEM suspension.

I intend to change tyres and suspension by the end of the summer so I can get a set with aspect ratio of 35mm then which should have the correct rolling diameter clearance, however I am unsure if the et30 offset is sufficient. I have tried the calculator which indicates I will need a 5mm spacer but I am unsure if I have added the tyre width in correctly.

Can anyone advise if these are any good and what mods would be needed to ensure i clear the struts, please. BTW - I am not going with coilovers when I upgrade.

John.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Rears will fit without spacers no problems, depending how low you drop the suspension may need to do a bit of arch work to stop the tyres rubbing.

Fronts will be a different can of worms. most run a max tyre width of 225 and you will also need an ET of 25 or a 5mm spacer minimum to clear the springs. Depending on how low you want to drop the car will probably need arch work and camber adjustment. 8.5j is realistically the biggest front wheel you could put on without
    getting silly!!

Also Aspect ratio is a % value of the tyre width (so AR of 35 = 0.35xwidth not 35mm)

Have a look at : http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php

Does all the calcs u need :-)

Cheers Chris, my bad I did mean a constant of 35 and not measurement :thumbsup: but thanks for the other information, very helpful.

Thanks Si, I used this but I am unsure of the tyre widths at present andwas hoping to get some info [similar to what Chris gave me] on minimum clearances.

Keep it coming guys I will try and get more info on the wheels by tomorrow latest.

― Jay Leno

8.5j i think means the wheel width is 8 and a half inch wide, from what i can get from when i was trying to sort wheels a mk2 has a 38 offset but can deviate the lower the offset from standard the more the wheel moves out from the inside so you may need some abflugs or rolled arches, i think standard were 6.5 or 7.5 it just means your putting an inch further out,
    most mk2 wheels are a pain i have seen 10inch rears on 17inch rims with a 265 tyre its all about rolling radious as it depends how big a side wall you run like 30/35 or 40 have a look at the side wall your using at the moment.

i run 205 fronts by 40 and 235 by 40 rears i should have gone for a 35 rear and 30 front but thats for next time you live and learn.

best bet is if it rubs is fix the wheel on using some 2mm washers keep adding the washers till nothing rubs then measure how many washers you used to get the spacer, you may also need longer studs or bolts to as there may not be enough bolt/stud to put the wheel on offten over looked.

my mk1 rear has mk2 wheels on and they are 235/40 x17 x20 9.5j offset so more wheel goes outward

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    8.5j i think means the wheel width is 8 and a half inch wide, from what i can get from when i was trying to sort wheels a mk2 has a 38 offset but can deviate the lower the offset from standard the more the wheel moves out from the inside
    Thanks Mike and just to add the offsets for the MK2 are recommended as 35-42.

However, to top all that I have just had it confirmed that one pair of wheels are et45 9J and another pair 8J. So I assume from what you say that the 45 offsets take the wheel further in from the outside arch and potentially fanny around with the struts and as a result I should use 5 or10mm spacers. If that is the case then I am good with it. Also, anyone any comment on 9 inch tyre width seems excessive but is it practical as my weekend drive.

PS. I am good with arch rolling and flaring if needed but I want to avoid wider add-on arches if at all possible.
    Last edited by Torero; 05-04-2011 at 20:00.

― Jay Leno

Seems more planted with the bigger wheels on the back, especially with the 2gr it just squats down and goes were I point it, were as before it felt vague and loose and funnily enough the steering was shite with 14 inch and crap tyres now it's really lite.

So it does look as if these will be suitable then but with spacers and a lot more rubber on the road than I have on my 15 standards at the moment :thumbsup:

I just need to check out tyre prices now

― Jay Leno

another handy link http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...es-advice.html

ET45 would definitely need spacers for the front, 10mm should do the job and the wheel should sit nice and flush.

Once you play about with the wheel and tyre calculater you can pretty much figure out what you need for any wheel/tyre combo to fit and fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris69 View Post
    ET45 would definitely need spacers for the front, 10mm should do the job and the wheel should sit nice and flush.
    I believe the fronts may have ET38 offsets Chris, I am waiting to hear but just the same this is now looking more and more doable. I have also spoken to Kelvin today [KayJay0_7] who has some spare 5 & 10mm wheel spacers, so I have a few options in place.

The tyre matrix was useful particularly for the max/min tyre widths:thumbsup:

― Jay Leno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast