Thread: Gains from aftermarket ECU on 1MZ-FE?

Gains from aftermarket ECU on 1MZ-FE?

Hi guys, I have an Emerald M3D ECU on my current project which will shortly be surplus to requirements. I could Ebay it, but I won't get back what I paid for it so I'm wondering if I should keep it for my Mk1.x project this winter. I am weighing up between 3SGTE and 1MZFE I think, obviously the turbo engine will see real benefits from a proper mapping session, but I wondered how much the standard ECU holds back the V6 and how much power can be unlocked by fine tuning ignition and fuel.

I know the Emerald isn't as advanced as a Motec or a Solaris unit, but it's been very reliable on my Supra (unlike my previous AEM!) and the mapping software is straightforward enough for me to make any future changes once it's been set up on the rollers.

I know what'll happen, "There's no point spending out on dyno time until I have the hot cams, throttle bodies, and head porting that I always wanted", then the missus shouts at me because we can't afford to buy food :D

That lot isn't on the agenda just yet, but I figure with an exhaust change (better Y-pipe etc) there will be some mapping gains to be had. It also solves any problems with idling, auto gearbox shift points, and all that jazz.

Mine felt a lot better with the link on

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    There are definately gains to be had, stock Ecu's especially it seems Toyota, run very rich and have poor resolution maps, i think the 3vz maps are 8x8

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

You might not gain in outright power (maybe a few bhp here and there) but you'll improve the delivery and the running of the car.

As Paul says, the ECU is probably at a lower resolution, so there's a lot of "filling in the blanks" going on. Plus, that ECU is designed with smoothness in mind, after all, it was fitted to a 4 speed auto - and not a 5 speed manual.

The car will feel livlier and probably a bit better on the fuel too.

my car gained around 30 bhp and the same if not more in torque from standard figures when i dynoed it on the link g4. Although i have got a different y pipe and head work done so im sure that has a part to play! I think for peace of mind defo worth it, if you have one sitting around anyway then why not mate! Plus it makes further mods future proof really, and you can strip it out and put it in the next car etc.