Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3s-gte into celica gt help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3s-gte into celica gt help!

hey guys,

been referred to this site and was wondering if someone could help me!

mate of mine has a celica gt (6th gen) with the 3gse engine and we want to do a turbo engine swap!

does anyone know exactly what is involved to do this conversion? (keeping it fwd)

many thanks!
    jonny

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi and welcome to TB, it can be done but i think you are going to have to run a NA box on that unless im mistaken.... unless someone knows otherwise i don't think the Gt4 gearbox can be used in a FWD application (happy to be proven wrong!)

So with that in mind it will bolt up to your NA box ok,but you will need to make a new supported shaft carrier bracket for the NA drivehafts, the Gt4 one lies in a different position.We have made new supported shaft brackets many times, its not hard.

I'm also not sure about clearance issues around the brake servo etc, although can't see it being a massive problem.

You will need a custom drivers mount which is a piece of flat bar with holes drilled in it, but some modification to the chassis mount will be needed.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

i heard that the mr2 turbo box is the way forward?

The gear linkages are on the wrong side of the box, so you would need to completely redesign the gear cable shifter assembly.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

As said by Paul who is the guru on engine conversions you will need to use the NA gearbix if you go down this route.

I would advise getting a late spec JDM gearbox as these are the ones that had an LSD as an option.

in greece they are using the mr2 mk2 turbo gearbox for that swap (100%) with the celica gt4 gear selector and gt4 cable mount (just searched the greek forums and the translation of what they used looks like this)

the stock box cannot handle the power as i have read in some greek forums

here is a 7th gen celica with the 3sgte installed
    http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/c...3022009035.jpg

The late spec JDM gearbox Plasticgeordie mentions is the e56, a stonger box than the s54 you should have at the moment. You will find the driveshafts will be a bit of a pain if you try to use, as these cars also have Super Strut Suspension, so you'll end up needing to make a hybrid shaft of e56 and S54 parts.

Has to be put out there.... Have you considered the v6 swap?

in greece they are using the mr2 mk2 turbo gearbox for that swap (100%) with the celica gt4 gear selector and gt4 cable mount
    I can't imagine how that works? the linkages are still on the wrong side of an Mr2 turbo gearbox to work with the celica cables?

I'd love to know more though!

Jonnyk .... here are a couple of V6 celicas we built recently...

And a build thread....

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=13821

Fascinated about this turbo gearbox working in the front of a celica though !

Paul's also done a swap into a 6th Gen:
    http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=12758
    And I'm doing a DIY swap, but the build thread is on Celica-Club
    http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/i...howtopic=70576
    The v6 swap will work out a lot cheaper than a 3SGTE, mainly because the doner cars (Toyota Camrys) are a hell of a lot cheaper than the GT4s or MR2 Turbos.

Are you thinking of doing the swap yourself or getting a mechanic for the job?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast