123456713 ...

thread: Configuration Resistors on 3VZ-FE ECU

Jan 2007
    Cambridge
    Those latest photos look like a completely different ECU. What's going on here?
    They're photos from the other PCB inside the case, there are 2 PCBs inside the ECU connected together with a flexible ribbon cable.

ThreeD, any chance you could undo the 6 screws that hold the top PCB in place and lift it up to take a photo of the other side? The other side is much more interesting too look at! Oh, it will definitely void your warranty lol

I'll post up a photo of the A/T ECU this evening when I get home.

Cheers,
    Jon

Feb 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I'll chuck up some pictures of my 1993 JDM Camry Auto Ecu w/o EGR at some stage soon. I'll also snap some pics of a 1993 JDM WINDOM Auto ecu w/o EGR that I've got sitting around. Runs the same engine, but the plug configuration is different. Don't know about the software that's in it. Will be interesting to see if the hardware in it is different.

Bevan

Feb 2006
    Hamilton
    Greg, i think that ECU (if it's the one am thinking of) is an import.

Jan 2007
    Cambridge
    I'll post up a photo of the A/T ECU this evening when I get home.
    Photo of component side of PCB, fuel/ignition CPU is highlighted in red, knock control CPU is highlighted in light blue and the A/T CPU highlighted in yellow.

My processor # is D151804-3670.
    Hmmm, different to the processor on my Camry ECU, is it from a later 200bhp 3VZ-FE? or maybe Lexus have a different variant of the processor, different fuel and ignition maps?

Is there by any chance a site on the WWW that has descriptions of what the custom Denso IC's do....?
    http://toyota.kgbconsulting.ca/media....php/Main_Page has some interesting photos of Toyota ECUs. There's also a pinout of the 64 pin processor Toyota use, it looks like most ECUs produced in the '90s use this processor for fuel and/or ignition.

The 3VZ-FE has one 64 pin processor to handle both the fuel and the ignition, the Rev 2 3S-GTE is similar, but the Rev 3 has 2 processors! one for fuel, and the other for ignition and boost control. Toyota must have run out of SW code space or processing power!

Cheers,
    Jon
    Last edited by jon.sole; 04-08-2017 at 22:22.

Nov 2005
    Liverpool/Manchester
    Hinteresting thread, I was thinking about getting round to playing with the 3VZ Auto ecu I have here at some point....

Mar 2007
    Calgary Canada
    here are the internals that go with the previous pics (ALL pics are the same M/T ECU).

Aug 2006
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Greg, i think that ECU (if it's the one am thinking of) is an import.
    I think I can guarantee it IS the one you're thinking of...! :boogie:

Jun 2006
    South Wales
    Hmm.... now this is interesting!

When my conversion was done, Tony fitted a switch so I can switch the speed input to the ecu between 5v and the speed signal from the dash. Means its very easy to switch back......

....and I'm currently using a non pocvipped ICV - my car often idles at 500 rpm.

If the weather holds out I'll try taking some photos of my ecu tonight. :D

Jun 2006
    South Wales
    Thinking about the 3rd resistor and just guessing but how about a fudge factor for converting between mph and kph for different countries, or is that more likely to be handled in the instrument cluster?
    My understanding is that the speed signal is generated from the speedo - at least thats what all the wiring charts seem to show.

So maybe speed limiter, or fuel type selection instead?
    I think possibly fueling maps as for instance the US and JAP fuels vary a lot. Mine is a UK '93 car which had EGR fitted originally, so I'll see what settings mine is on.

By the way - if I want to disconnect the ecu, I assume I'll need to disconnect the battery first? Not sure how easy it will be to open it up in the boot......
    Last edited by Fizzy; 15-05-2009 at 21:13.

Jun 2006
    South Wales
    Well, just checked mine and its a twin board type with a stiff ribbon cable between.

Found the resistors/jumpers/whatever mentioned here, and they appear to be the same as the original post..

The 3 options seem to be linked to test points TP207, TP208 and TP206 so a reading could be taken from there to see what changes.

The soldering is a bit on the small side for my basic soldering iron. Somebody could perhaps install a 3 pin toggle or dipp switch for the middle and bottom options so they can be changed during testing to see what effect it has. Guess you'll need to cut the power to the ecu everytime you change it though.

I haven't got a spare ecu so don't want to mess about with this one at the moment.

It would be nice if the change from A/T ecu to M/T acu is as easy as this - here's hopeing!

123456713 ...

•