Thread: taking off a front wing

taking off a front wing

when i did a search i couldnt find a write up on this so decided to have a go :)

i put the car on ramps as it made things a lot easier, but i guess having the side in question on an axle stand would almost as good

take out the liners, the front one under the headlight and the arch liner

remove the head light suround

there are 4bolts inside the head light area, 1st one at the back

2nd bolt below 1st

next 2 on the side near the front of the headlight retract area

open the door and another bolt

2 bolts holding the wing to the valance (lucky for me my wing had rotten away, not)

the next 4 are deep inside the front arch, bolts holding the wing onto the front bumper
    these are the top 2

and these are the bottom 2, they were rusty as hell

remove the side skirt
    then the barsteward, follow the door/wing gap all the way down to the bottom of the wing and underneath you find this

but i found the cure

to end theres 4 easy ones

then a bit of a jiggle and there you go

That's good news that you can get them off without removing the lights. I looked at this the other day and wondered if all the lights would need to come out.

the lights are 3 or 4 nuts and bolts and a plug, one of the easiest things to remove on the entire car! wings would be easy if it wasnt for the 2 bolts at the front that are hard enough to get at and almost always rusted solid. and too much force on them just bends the wing out, theyre a nightmare to get undone

top job sir, stickying and moving to body so it does not get post lost. looks allright under that wing aswell! always helpful :) . hows the 2 welded seams on the a pillar? and the underneath of the A?
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

no rust as yet those locations yet, just front valances, front wings, cross section under radiator, front bumper bar, both rear archs, both bottoms of rear archs onto rear valance, rear valance, boot slam, and both front rear arch sections...... lol
    done half of it over the last two weekends, was hoping to finish today but.....
    got a shard of metal stuck in my pupil, was at the hospital at 830 much much pain
    left eye looked like it had seen mike tysons fist
    honestly, goggles from now on for everything that makes sparks or filings

my scale of rust is bit different to most, my other car being a 1972 capri :D