Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket LSD

Aftermarket LSD

Just saw this add on E-bay :

klick here

Together with the stickie abouth the MK3 LSD fitting the S54 g-box this should be fitting the S54 box as well....
    The price is better then the OEM LSD price.

Or am I making some errors in my thinking ?

I'm suspicious of the price if anything. the equivalent quaife is about 1000$ more.

it would be damn neat if it was a good unit though.

on 2nd thought. the honda guys are complaining about those units munching transmissions and http://obxracingsports.com/products.php dosen't list the differential anymore.

I'd stay away like that thing was diseased.

Very clear, thanks.

Since the link in the first post went dead, is it the same as one of these?

I would like to get a MK3 stock LSD, but they are just not available here in Aus :(

Same brand, suppose Gouky's reply applies on this one too.

I've read quite a lot of internet talk about these OBX LSD's. Most of the stuff comes from back in 2005-2006 with the Honda boys having issues with shafts getting stuck and some quality issues were a concern (A few stripped bolts).

I've read some recent discussion (2009) about them and quite a few people are saying they have had no issues even after 2-3 years, with only one guy producing real evidence of failure (damaged gears, but still driveable). You can see it HERE. Also a good report found over a Zilvia.net where which also comments on 2 years of abusing a OBX LSD in an S15 for drift and auto x without failure.

I'm seriously considering buying one and doing the pre-cautionary steps a few people have recommended (washers and bolts).

They are Quaife knockoffs, and the general consensus is that the machining is poor, but they do indeed work as advertised.

The biggest issues thus far have been low quality / stripped bolts holding the things together, and incorrect / poorly installed belleville spring washers inside the unit that set the preload. Both are easily fixed for cheap just by disassembling and inspecting the unit and replacing the hardware as necessary.

Uncommonly, but also possible, is finding one that hasn't been machined true. I have seen a couple posts about Honda ones that had like 0.015" of runout between the ring gear and the bearing surfaces. Having said that, the particular differential in question was something along the lines of number 30 or 40 that had been installed by that individual. There seems to be a pretty high chance of getting a good unit -- just make doubly sure you check the machining / assembly before you actually fit it into a gearbox.

I have managed to get my hands on one of the LSD's for a rather cheap price locally.
    Over the next few months, I'll be following this guide to ensure the unit is assembled properly and will then be putting it into my S54 along with my 1MZ. Hoping to get my conversion happening over the new year :)

Nice find! Let us know how this works out will you? :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast