Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: starting my first v-6 swap

Loving your standard of measure there aswell lol

the bendy wall and access panel sounds good, if im not running an egr system how hard is it to remove the intake to get to the plugs. I can get the gasket for around 10$ so if its just a matter of taking the intake bolts off and disconnect the air intake i can deal with that, if it will require a fair amount of effort to get it off then making a access panel would be a good idea.

I went to the junkyard and found a new vac. canister, that does not rattle and was still holding vacuum. i thought it was a pretty good deal at $2.65. I also had a look at some transmissions to try to figure out what axles i could use, the only early 90's 5 spds i could find where in celicas the inner axle stub out of the mystery trans. fit into the one i could get the axle out of, unfortunately i grab the wrong axle nut socket when i left the house so i could not compare the hub ends of the axle.

i looked through olberj's build and im pretty sure im using the same trans. he did, and if i read it correctly he used mk2 n/a shafts with out modifying them, so i ordered a set through the parts store we use at work and ill compare them to the inner axle stub that came with the trans. and my supercharger axles when they get here on Wednesday.

wanting to order my motor mounts in the next couple of days im 90% sure i need a mk2 engine and trans. mount, does anyone wanna verify that for me.

the bulkhead cut will be coming in a few days when i finally make up my mind what i want to do and actually bring my self to introducing mr. sawzall to mr. two.

Yes that's correct on the mounts :thumbsup: You will also need your MK1 torque mounts as you need to cut up both the MK1 and MK2 and make a hybrid set to work with your conversion. You'll then need an adaptor to mate the V6 engine to the MK2 engine mount and then finally new mounting points welded into the chassis. Job done.

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

thanks owen, got those ordered today will see them on thursday had to go to the dealer to get them>:[ , they must really like those things @$180 for the left and right mounts.

got a few more things done over the last week or so, engine is back out so the bulkhead could be cut, cut the bulkhead and got rid of the old motor mount brackets. finished the new battery tray, got the new motor mounts and axles. hmm ...i did a few other little odds and ends to but cant think of them right now, anyway pictures....

one thing i've run into on the axle situation, i could'nt find mk2 n/a axles anywhere so i got axles from a 93 celica gt and the fit into the trans. and the wheel hub and when we installed it on the car and held the carrier bearing where it was holding the axle straight into the diff. it fit great but when we tried to put the motor mount/ bearing holder off the lexus on ti hold the axle to far aft of where it needs to be. does any one konw if one off a celica or a 2vz camry will work, or maybe use the bearing race off the celica and fabricate the bracket to bolt to the block.

so thats what ive been up to, next is going to be attaching the motor mounts to the engine and turning the lower radiator tube, and figuring somthing out with the right side axle. anywho its getting late and i think im starting to ramble so thats all for now hopefully ill be back soon with more progress.

The Mk2 N/A shafts use a long and a short one each side.

As you can see, the celica has a supported shaft setup. To make that work correctly you'll need to fabricate a carrier to bolt onto the V6 block.

I'm in the process of doing it with mine at the minute and to get the best results you'll be needing 2 Mk2 N/A short shafts and the Celica supported inner shaft.

Now we hit a problem on Friday that the inner joints on some celica shafts and Mr2's are different, some have a 3 balled joint and some have a 6 balled joint like the tubby "ballache" joints. And the splines for each different type of joint are different between the 2 variations aswell. so the joints cannot be swapped over.

So what you want is 2 short mk2 n/a shafts and the matching 3 ball celica inner. Assuming your short shaft has the 3 ball inner joint.

The celica short shafts are about 15mm bigger according to Woodsy so the Mk2 n/a short shafts are needed to get the thing to fit.

Long and short of it is, you'll probably need 2 mk2 n/a short shafts and a custom carrier bracket.

thanks , the shafts i have now where a little tricky to get in and i thought to myself they seem a hair to long but i decided maybe the engine was not in the right spot so i jiggled it a little and they fit. fortunately i can get the short shafts at the same place i got the celica axles so ill go trade that in and get two left side axles. as far as the custom bearing support goes im not sure what kind of stress that things has to endure but i think a piece of 1/4" plate steel for the block end and the bearing race off a celica with some d.o.m. tubing left over from some roll cages in the middle should handle it.

got the rest of the left side motor mount bracket off today there is still a little bit of metal finishing to do but all the big bits are off. got a few close up pics also decided to take the timing cover off to see what the belt looks like and it was horrible, its been on there a loooong time, hoping the rest of the engine is in good condition, but the machine shop is book for a while so im leaving it assembled for now and getting it fitted into the car.

the axle is the celica axle inner end im pretty sure thats the three lobe type please correct me if im wrong.

I "think" the supported shaft cup that i have in the shop is totally round and that's a 6 ball so i reckon you're on the money there chief. Will definitely check 2moro for you though.

yea im pretty sure the axles that where in there with the gze where the "ballache" type, i like that term by the way it sums them up nicely, they are round with 6 hex key bolts holding them together. ive got tommorow off so im gonna make that bearing support so hopefully ill have so pics of what i come up with tommorow or friday.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast