Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: starting my first v-6 swap

starting my first v-6 swap

ok so my title lied a little bit i actually started about a month ago but now i've finally got most of my parts and hopefully enough money built up to get it done. so far i have the 4agze out and a clean engine bay, fuel pump is out and the new one is gonna go in this week, the engine is ready to come out of my donor car a 93 lexus es300, and my trans. should be here on thurs. or friday.

im starting to get to the triky parts and i know im gonna have a few questions im pretty sure this is the right place for that kind of thing that way i dont have to start a whole bunch of new threads every time i have a question.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Owen

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

Best of luck squire.

US '93, is that a 3VZ or 1MZ?

its a 3vz the only differance ive noticed so far is my main wiring harness goes through the firewall on the right side of the car so ill have to figure something out with that but as soon as i get the trans. its all going in to the car for a test fit to find out where the firewall cuts need to be.

somthing i was trying to figure out is how do i locate the engine/trans. foward and back in the bay. i know how to get it side to side as per pauls write-up but i dont recall seeing anything about the for-aft location, i may of over looked it ive been reading so many things latley things get mixed around and forgotten.

Your main priority is your driveshaft angles, that dictates the fore/aft position.
    Side to side as you say is covered so it's a case of trial fit for position or ask Jiff Lemon to get his tape measure out for you and give you a good idea of how his is situated. Have a look at his build thread in the achives as i fabricated his mounts and it'll give you a good idea of how far forward the engine is..

Hope this helps

BSM

Is there not a jig in the US you can hire?

I havent seen anything about a jig over here. it would be nice to get a hold of one but i knew this wasnt going be easy when i started so if i find one great if not oh well.

progress over the last few days has been crazy got the motor out of the lexus and all the things i wont need stripped off. new fuel pump is installed in the tank and its ready to go back in. removed a/c lines and condenser. removed battery tray. organized the garage.....again.

is it correct the 89 supercharger axles will fit into a 93 turbo non-lsd tranny.

jig smig! Back in my day we didn't have any of this new fangled jig thing

Its all about the jiggle - Position is everything. If you could build yourself a tolley to hold the engine and box it makes your life a little easier.

Not so sure about the driveshafts (axles); My rule of thumb is to try to get them with the box when you buy it. Again, back in the old days we had numerous posts about different shafts fitting or failing to fit different combination of gearboxes.

Now..... where's the progress pics?:photos:
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

yea im pretty sure i can get it in there with out a jig.

as far as pictures im still working on it but i cant get my new camera to link with my computer. a friend is coming over tonight to see if he can figure it out.

I ran into my first big problem this weekend. i had the whole weekend and monday off and was going to test fit every thing but the place i ordered my trans. from sent me one for an 89 camry so that didnt happen needless to say after waiting a month for the damn thing i wasnt to happy about that. so instaed i made my battery tray and ran the cabels and put the fuel tank back in. got every thing that im not gonna need stripped off the motor. and a new circut run out to the garage for the welder so i can weld with out haveing to reset the braker every 5min. anywho ill try to get those pics up tonight.

here are a few pictures of what ive been doing recently some arnt the best quality becuase i was in a hurry things have been kind of hectic recently.

in the last picture thats the 4th e.c.m. plug right. when i shake the vacuum canister that was under the battery tray it rattles is that good or should i go get another one.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast