been thinking about charge coolers and noticed that everyone runs a seperate pump and a seperate radiator for their charge cooler setups. space is at a premium, as is airflow (another radiator is going to mess my aero up more), as is (most importantly) weight! plus i dont want the power losses of driving yet another pump

im not going to have the airflow at the rear of the car to realistically be able to mount a chargecooler rad at the back end of the car, id like to have it up front. thats going to mean all the pipework, full of water, another rad, as well as the chargecooler element, and the pump. it all adds up to a load of weight that i dont want

so, whilst i think i already know the main answer as to why it isnt done, why dont people run their chargecooler within the standard cooling system? cold water out of the rad comes straight into the chargecooler, and from there goes into the engine like normal? the water from the radiator is always going to be slightly hotter than if you run a seperate radiator that only deals with chargecooling. but how hot does boosted air realistically get? id hazard a guess at 50-60 degsC quite easily when the engine is being pushed hard?

if thats the case then its only 20-30 degs cooler than the engine, and if i was to run a larger and more efficient radiator (more efficient = aluminium = weight reduction anyway!) then i should probably still be able to get the chargecooler running around 40-45 degsC, which would be an improvement over not running any cooling at all, and dare i say an improvement over an intercooler? (which is completely non-viable due to the logistics of sending air the length of the car and back again)

just wondering what peoples thoughts on it are, and what the specific reasons are for it not being done very often (i say that because im sure someone somewhere uses it, but i cant find anyone!)