Thread: Walbro In line pumps - fake ?

Walbro In line pumps - fake ?

Hi guys,
    Just bought this fuel pump for my project, but I'm not actually sure its a genuine walbro, it has no walbro markings or stamps, on any of the packaging or the body of the pump, any thoughts ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Walbro-Fuel-Pu...1%7C240%3A1318

to a certain extent if the pumps works well, I dont mind what its called, but I dont want to pay for a brand with known quality and get a copy, if it is one ?

To me it looks fake, but i have never held a Walbro in my hand so i cant be sure, Ebay page looks sus...

Although they don't actually state that it's not a walbro, the ad says things like:

More oomph and less whine than WALBRO 255 equivalent
    Our Supra project runs over 1000bhp, it will run with 2 x DA-27’s but as a failsafe/durability we use 3 DA-27 Pumps. We would have required 4/5 Walbro pumps at a crazy cost and extra weight.
    ..suggesting this is not a walbro.

Then, if you look carefully at the first picture it says 'Manufacturer: Driven 2 Automotive'

This pump also looks slightly different than the walbro I have here, so my guess is that they are using walbro's good name to their own benefit.
    Last edited by decipherer; 24-02-2009 at 23:37.

The title of the suggests it's a walbro fuel pump but the description says otherwise. If you have'nt fitted the pump i would just return it and get a refund as it's worth paying the extra £25 or so for the walbro.
    <a href=http://forums.twobrutal.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=548&dateline=1232295818 target=_blank>http://forums.twobrutal.com/image.ph...ine=1232295818</a>

His reply

Hi Paul,

we use WALBRO in some of our titles for the keyword searches. The DA-27 is certainly not a walbro fuel pump....... A genuine walbro 255 fuel pump maybe good for 390 BHP, it is simply no match for our DA-27 which is rated right up to 650 BHP on turbo applications.

We mention walbro in our keyword search but its not mentioned at all in the advert. We have not designed our adverts to be misleading; we are simply offering a customer a choice to see a fuel pump which vastly out performs the walbro 255. The genuine walbro 255 fuel pump only comes with a 1 year warranty, we give the DA-27 a full 2 year warranty.

Out of the 2500 or so fuel pumps we have sold both privately and on ebay we have not yet received 1 complaint, they are fantastic and will not let you down.

However despite all of this, if you found our advert to be misleading and you want your money back.... that’s no problem at all.

Best Regards

Richard Bell

Managing Director

Driven 2 Automotive

and my reply

Richard,
    Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply, I was surprised at the level of detail and time taken in writing the reply, so thanks for that. To be honest, from the item description I did think I was buying a Walbro pump, its the first word in the ebay descriptor title and the first word in the main item description. Your listing then goes on to state its a custom made pump, but to be frank it does not state anywhere that it is not a Walbro pump.

However, in good faith I'll give the pump a go without prejudice and will leave feedback accordingly.

If I could offer some constructive criticism of the ebay listing, is that it would be nice somewhere in the description, (that although you mention) Walbro, you clarify that it is not a Walbro pump.

with kind regards

Paul

Paul, maybe I am being a little cynical here but the reply mentions several times the superior quality performance and reliability factors compared to the Walbro 255. IMHO that should be justification enough for the company to ENSURE that there is no ambiguity by stating these benefits clearly on the advert.

To me it seems a little suss that they don't use this as a promotional point to support their brand against a market leader.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out.:popcorn::popcorn: