Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: mk1.6 transmissions and driveshafts

Welding them won't be easy, even if I use pre-heat and slow cooling methods to ensure the welds are strong (Done this before with welding up/locking diffs for speedway), will probably have to speak to an engineer about this. I think it will require something like a key system to give the spline something to drive off of instead of just the weld holding it to the flange. I might see if I can get some CNC stuff involved to machine a hex hole in the flange and then a matching hex on the spline shaft.

Looks like a project within a project :D

I would just get some bigger axles of some thing else and get them machined to the correct spline on the shaft, even better if there longer you can slice the end off then machine the splines and reharden them, that sounds easier than dicking about with slots and welding.

This is all great info guys, how much of this info is good for the 2gr as well? Im looking at buying clutch pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel but don't know what will work! Not sure if i will use the e153 or the s54 so info for both would be awesome, thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234