Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do i hook up my A/C

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Good point. and get on with it, summer is coming.

:)
    Don't I know it bigman, project has somewhat ground to a halt, im busy 6 out of the next 10 weekends the ducati's back from hibernation and the purchase of a 911 is looking increasingly likely in the next few months im not sure where that leaves the 2 apart from wanting to finish it so I can say I did

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Wasn't there some thing about different refrigerants used in the mr2 and Camry, and evaporators were different I had read some were on an American forum. Or it could have been a mk1 not a mk2 swop?
    Dunno, i'm just concerned with wiring it in. After that its going back to JH Classics for custom aircon pipe refit and the regassing.

c.

Just look at the camry wiring diagram and copy that. If the compressor only has a single wire plug on it that's all you need. It earth's through the body

I have an ON topic point for this thread;
    Let's say I have a compressor on an engine in a vehicle. Powering it up, isn't the problem, so my question is this:

I have all of these components in hand:

Can I just use random bits of ally & rubber tube to connect or more accurately "build" the system? I would keep the ends of the lines that go INTO each component, but then barb and juby clip join all the rubber hoses.
    Will it work, or will it explode into the engine bay?

O wise and noble TB mechanics, please assist?

It will work just make sure your barbs are metal not plastic and use quality clamps such as mikalor style clamps

I'm going to give this a go on my current build. :)

Don't forget the high-pressure side of an aircon system can see a couple of hundred psi. Use the good hose :icon_mrgreen:

Also normal rubber isn't entirely impermeable to r134a. But proper refrigerant hose (rubber protective outer with a gas-impermeable plastic inner) is fairly cheap. Couple of pounds per foot if you poke around on ebay a bit.
    (random thought - would braided hose maybe be better? It's got the gas-resistant inner, it's cheap, and it's easily available with fittings that're more than rated for the pressure)
    Last edited by AlunJ; 24-06-2017 at 21:13.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

I'm not sure, but I am deffo giving this a go. I have three projects that need AC and I can fetch 2K more per build if the AC works.

Leave it to TB to teach me MORE valuable stuff! Hooray!

Aye, people love it when the aircon works. I think I spent more time on the 5sgte build making sure the air con worked than anything else (and the bay grows ever more cramped - some non-standard air con hoses would go a long way towards helping out there).

Turns out braided hose might not be the best suggestion. They tend to use a teflon lining, and apparently teflon is fairly permeable to r134a. Found a nice list of what plastics are compatible with which refrigerants, might be handy when checking out pipework etc? http://www.allchemi.com/eng/refreger...atibility.html
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Any refrigeration hoses should really be made using barrier hose and crimped ends (not clamped)
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast