Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do i hook up my A/C

How do i hook up my A/C

hey everyone,
    its been about 5 months since i did my swap and everything is going pretty sweet.
    most recently i have put in a walbro and repaired the dripping "pipe from hell" and i leaned the afm out by two clicks (want to get it checked before going further)

its full on summer now in Adelaide. last weekend i drove 550km towards the centre of Oz for the weekend and back and i wish to god i had air conditioning as it was high 30s all the way. i only thought about it the week before my trip, a place i went to ask about conecting the two flexies wanted to charge me $150 for each conection :naughty: and thats not even counting the gas.
    is there any way around this?
    i also found out that my camry compressor is r134a while the mr2 is r12. is this a problem?
    its over 40degrees here all week this week so im struggling in trafic in the mornings on my way to work.

what gas do i use to recharge? (cheaply)
    anyone tried those ebay jobies?
    can i just make up my own joints using barbed fittings and hose clamps?

any help is always appreciated guys

thanks

From what I understand, you have to tig weld the MR2 hard pipes after the flexible bits onto the ally bits off the camry compressor. In other words cut the camry compressor hard lines right where they turn into tubes, then weld on the MR2 pipes so they can go onto the hard pipes on the car. As for gas type, R12 is pretty much banned now I believe... I know you can't get it in NZ. All you have to do to ocnvert to r134a though is to change all the seals over, then gas it up!

As for the barbs... try fitting the camry hard pipes that come off the compressor on. You'll find one of them won't go on as the chassis is in the way ;)
    Bevan

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Use the camry AC pump,and the rubber lines coming from it,also use the rubber lines on the mr2 chassis,cut them and join them with steel tube/barbed fittings and clips,that works 100%.

Electrically you need to join the Black/white wire on the AC plug to the B/W wire on your white plugs in the engine bay fusebox.This B/W AC wire exits the v6 harness at the autobox plugs area,you need to do a continuity test to establish that for sure though.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

No wonder mine wouldn't fit! Come to think of it, my engine came out of a Toyota Windom! Tig welder here I come...

you don't need to tig anything,just hook up the camry/windom AC pump as above.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

When I tried to put the hard pipes onto the pump, I couldn't get one as it was clashing on the heat shield...

Correct bev,they won't fit.....

"Use the camry AC pump,and the rubber lines coming from it,also use the rubber lines on the mr2 chassis,cut them and join them with steel tube/barbed fittings and clips,that works 100%."

So you use the camry/windom pump,its hard pipes and rubber lines and cut and join them onto the mr2 AC lines.

I'm talking of the short windom hard pipes that come off the compressor before the flexible tube Paul. I might have to go on the hunt at the local scrappie for some out of a Camry... Different shape piece off the pump perhaps before it goes to the flexi pipe?...

As far as im aware the windom ones are identical to camry ones,same car mechanically.

I'll have to give it another shot then. Coulda sworn that heat shield got in the way last time I tried. Maybe I was trying to put it on the wrong way around or something. Can't really fook that up with the dowel n' all though... How do you know which way around the aircon tubes go?

Bevan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast