Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V6 flywheel info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    yes you got that bang on adam, that 7 or 8 mil removed from the rear rings a bell,it was so long ago and i didnt think to write down what was done as i didnt expect anyone to be as daft as to follow me! :D

5mm clearance between back of fly and block,and an overall fly thickness of 30mm with the clutch face protruding 0.5 should be perfect.If in any doubt at all just copy the dimensions of your turbo fly if its at hand.

Looking back at the amount of work to get these 3vze flys to fit its much easier to find a 1mz manual one in the states.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods
    Looking back at the amount of work to get these 3vze flys to fit its much easier to find a 1mz manual one in the states.

apart from the ally ones you can buy ,like jb , i havent seen one come up to buy?:sad:

they are a bit thin on the ground mate but i dont think we are looking hard enough,thousands of 1mz's in the states....i saw a breakers yard list once that had loads of 1mz flys for sale at about $20 each but not one of them replied to my emails.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

i should be o.k fingers crossed. the dowels, i hope they behave and come out easy, i shall weigh it bef & aft, and do a wee sketch. the starter ring, i assume its just a ring with a few bolt holes, i'll nip that on paper too, again, the starter and box is e153 correct?.. i can pull my starter out and measure it?
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

i was going to use the camry starter- which i think is the same as the turbo ( according to jb) and e153 non lsd gearbox.:praise:

well thats not as crazy as it sounds,you can leave the loom on the engine,cut 6 inches of wire off the N1 and shove the rest including the ecu plugs through the bulkhead and leave it on the engine,do the same at the M2 and drop the lot out complete.

Starter spacer

heh lodge, i have machined your flywheel, i took 8mm off the rear boss, and 2mm off the outer rear face. the front i could not get the dowel pins out, so i just re machined the face nicely. this will give the correct 5mm offset from block face. we measured so i cannot see a problem. it remains though to try it out on your block and mate the bellhousing to see everything is o.k , paul you think i should go with a 6mm spacer for lodge now, or wait until he has fitted this part to see whats what, i am a little concerned at the fact i could not machine 2mm off the front of the fly to achieve the 30mm thickness. i took it off the rear outer face instead to achieve overall thickness of 30, re-machined the 45 degree in also.
    weight before 10.3kg / after 9.67kg

Last edited by adamh; 08-02-2006 at 21:47.

are you sure that is mine? :icon_cool looks too good to be mine!!!!!:eusa_shif many thanks adam!!! will have to sort out a time to pick up the fly and perhaps arrange a viewing of the beast!!

mmmm nice work adam although (i hate althoughs) the reason for making the overall thickness 30mm was for front face clearance.I shall explain,i had mine machined in stages,7 or 8 mm from the rear hub to start with but when it was bolted up and clutch added the pressure plate was jammed on the bellhousing face....even now with a 30mm thick fly i reckon it clears the bell by about 1 or 2 mm at most.So you have taken 2mm off the rear edge to make the 5mm to block clearance correct but this isnt affecting the offset of the fly on the crank,just altering the gap between fly and block which isnt an issue.....mmmm im not sure.

If only i could remembe the actual amount i had removed from my rear hub,7 or 8mm sounds familiar.

Basically it will have to be tried on als v6,clutch fitted and box fitted,see if the engine still turns,im guessing its still going to need some removing from the front face though.

I wouldnt make a starter spacer until the fly issue has been sorted,alan you will need to bolt your starter onto your box and pull the starter pinion fully out as if its fully engaged,measure how far it is from the gearbox face (which is essentially the engine face) and then measure the position of the flys ring gear relative to the block face and work out the spacer needed from that,but the fly issue needs sorting first.

i think we all agree its much easier to find a manual 1mz wheel,i wish id done that!

paul i have taken off 7-8mm from the rear hub, this alone will give the 5m offset from block face. the 2mm i have taken from the rear outer edge has nowt to do with the offset, as assumed. i took the 2mm there, as it would do no harm, if it was wrong and i needed to take some off the front aswell then so be it..

how did you get your dowels out?.. short of sticking it up on the mill and machining them out with a carbide tool, of course i can do that no probs, and put some newbies back in, but there must be an easier way?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast