Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: V6 flywheel info

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

V6 flywheel info

As requested by owen "do what i ask or its curtains" sparks here is the rundown on what flywheel you can use with either 1mz,5vz or 3vz V6's.

1mz-fe stock manual steel fly will bolt straight on,no machining,mk2 na or T starter motor works without a spacer.

3vz-fe stock manual steel fly will also work as above,no mods needed

3vze 4runner stock manual fly fits the crank bolt pattern exactly but its offset and thickness are wrong so machining is needed to both front and rear face to make it work.This machining basically means copying the dimensions of a stock 3s-gte flywheel which is 30mm thick and its back face sits 5mm from the engine block face as an offset guide.However the ring gear on this fly isnt in the right place and you need a 6mm spacer between starter and gearbox casing to as jean-luc picard would say "make it so" :D

There is also a 1mz-fe aluminium fidanza fly that JB is using,this works exactly like the stock 1mz/3vz wheel.

Ive no data (another trekkie ref) for the 5vz manual fly working on a 1mz/3vz but i do know that node from mr2oc used a 3vz-fe manual fly on his 5vz,so this means a manual 5vz fly (if they exist!) will also work on a 1mz/3vz.

All of the above flys except the fidanza are available stateside for around $20,but the shipping is a bitch at around $70-$90.

If anyone has some good info they can add please do.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

cheers paul, really helpful!

Spot on Sir Woods. (It would seem that you get to sleep another night above ground after all.) :D

Cheers,

Owen.

----MY Manual SC------Lyn's Auto SC ---- NA/SC MK1.5 Donors-----
    "What have you angle ground today?" :twisted:

TB BIG Affiliate - SWAT Motorsport Forum Link Picture Album Shop Link

These are the flywheel bolts. Short ones are from auto flexplate for comparison. Long ones are needed if you use 3VZ flywheel like Paul and Alan but they need shortening a bit so that not more than 10mm of thread projects out of the back of the flywheel. I used the shorter ones on my 1MZFE fly and I think these would be suitable for standard 3VZFE or 1MZFE flys also. Once you have a flywheel ready to fit you can choose bolts which give you the just less than 10mm of thread projecting.
    The Camry starter motor can also be used with the turbo gearbox if you dont have a Mk2 one.

Don\'t look back!

JB 3.0 litre V6 swap complete Undergoing taxiing trials

where'd you get them bolts from?

Mr T, about £1.20 each, the numbers are Toyota part nos but best to wait until you get flywheel.
    You may want to buy one of each to check which you think is best.
    Last edited by JB; 11-12-2005 at 19:04.

Don\'t look back!

1MZFE Fidanza flywheel part no 2-717 / 130881 weighs 10.5lb
    I bought mine from Brad Bedell, Plano Texas but search on ebay will locate various suppliers. It cost me $300, shipping $50, customs duty and VAT?32.02, Parcel Force fee for paying duty for me ?8. Grand Total ?235:x
    It bolted straight onto the 3VZFE engine and aligned perfectly with starter pinion either Mk2 or Camry starter.
    I used a GT4 st185 clutch which fitted complete, no problemo

Don\'t look back!

I have lodges flywheel in my grasp, who wants it? :D ...j/k.. to confirm the flywheel data would be nice. im going to give him an offset of 5mm from the block face, this means machining about 7-8mm off the rear boss.

the flywheel thickness is 32.5mm across its bulk, am i to assume i have to machine 2mm off, and re-cut the clutch seating ring say half mil protruding out of the remaining face paul?..

p.s.. lodgeman has both eyes :D i always thought he had a glass blinker, after commenting on a post he had only one eye and couldnt measure. thick i may be sometimes , i also thought he couldnt do a turbo swap for this reason, as it would be so fast he wouldnt be abled to see properly thru his good blinker :lol:.. im sure he was quite pleased on hearing that too :D :slap:

so im going to bash his flywheel off so he can continue putting his engine together. I was quite suprised at the bare block size, its not bigger than a 3s length wise obviously with only three cyl's length but angled a bit, shorter in height aswell by the looks. nice heads although, twin cams, 4 valves per cylinder, looks very strong, its all flywheel!
    Last edited by adamh; 14-01-2006 at 18:12.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

oi!!! i hope you havent got the flywheel on ebay already:-P nice meeting you today-thanks for your help. oh! and thanks for reminding me about the fillet steak!!!! :cheers: would have been buggered otherwise!

the replacement eyes you get these days are good are'nt they!!!!! lol

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    yes you got that bang on adam, that 7 or 8 mil removed from the rear rings a bell,it was so long ago and i didnt think to write down what was done as i didnt expect anyone to be as daft as to follow me! :D

5mm clearance between back of fly and block,and an overall fly thickness of 30mm with the clutch face protruding 0.5 should be perfect.If in any doubt at all just copy the dimensions of your turbo fly if its at hand.

Looking back at the amount of work to get these 3vze flys to fit its much easier to find a 1mz manual one in the states.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast